Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Please help me guys

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2008 | 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Please help me guys

I have a 1999 tahoe LT recently I have trouble trying to start it. when i turn the key nothing happens, the lights all come on but the starter doesnt turn.

Now here is the confusing part, If i keep the key turned while i step on the brake, it starts. it seems to be worse when It has been running for awhile and i try to restart it while it is hot. It has been doing it now for like 4 months. It doesnt do it all the time but i would say something like 40% of the time. several times i have had to give the brake pedal a stomp to get it to start.

I dont want to spend 100 dollars just to get it diagnosed. It has a automatic car starter installed, which will not start it when the standard ignition doesnt work. like i said, most of the time it starts right up without touching the brake.

If anyone has heard of this problem before or has any suggestions please let me know and thanks so much in advance
Old March 11th, 2008 | 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Please help me guys

When it refuses to crank, have you tried cranking it in neutral?

I'm not sure how your remote starter system is wired? There should be a starter relay in the power distribution center. When the vehicle refuses to crank, you can do some testing there. Unplug the relay, use a testlite on the terminals to see how many are hot? The key will need to be in the crank position. Two terminals need to be hot, one for the switch side of the relay and the other for the coil side.

You could use a jumper on the proper two terminals on the switch side of relay,to see if the starter will crank? Any testing you do, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.
Old March 11th, 2008 | 11:23 AM
CF Addict

I would bet that the aftermarket autostart system is a factor.
Old March 12th, 2008 | 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

thanks guys, to answer a few questions, when the starter wont crank i have tried to start it in neutral and it doesnt work, I talked to the guy at the shop that installed my starter and I asked him if the auto start could be the problem. (my first thought) and he said that the astro start is completely uninvolved if you start the vehicle with a key. so I took his word for it and ruled that out. i have tried banging on the steering columb and that doesnt work. the only thing that works is steping on the brake pedal. usualy i just have to barely touch the brake but a few times i hand to give the pedal a firm stomp while holding the key turned. being as it only happens randomly I cant really take it to the dealer if its not doing anything wrong. im frustrated. thanks so much