Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

po453 code help

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2013, 5:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default po453 code help

Here is my story:
2001 Tahoe
160,000 miles
4wd LS

About a year ago I got a check engine light. A guy I know had a scanner right there and checked it. He said it was an emission code and most likely a gas cap issue. He pulled off the gas cap and cleaned it and put it back on and cleared the code. Over the course of this last year the light has come on and gone off and I never gave it much thought. Back in July I was 3 hours from home when I broke down. Ended up being a bad fuel pump. Truck was towed to the shop and pump replaced. When I was on the side of the road I happened to have my Bluie Point quick scan and it had two active codes. An O2 lean code and a shift solenoid code. Both probably related to the pump going out. Prior to leaving on that trip I went to the emissions place to get it tested so I could get new plates. I had cleared codes prior to going and when they tested it they said it would not pass because it had incomplete tests....So then I took this weekend trip and had the pump fail and that was fixed.

Now I figured the tests had a chance to run and I could go get it tested again. This time it came back with a code po453. I am pretty sure that the sensor was new on the new pump assembly that was replaced. Everywhere I checked said they came new on the pump. I know the code is setting because the ECM is receiving back a too high voltage from the sensor. This would indicate one of a few things. 1. bad sensor giving false info back. 2.Issue with wiring or plug causing a short from reference voltage to signal wire back to ECM or 3. Actually too much pressure in the tank and the sensor is doing it's job.

Over the weekend I tried to drop the tank to get to the pump assembly but with the limits of where I have to mess with it at home in the driveway and it is basically full of fuel I didn't get it dropped out and just put it back together. Does anyone know of the easiest point to access the plug to test for reference, ground and signal wire for this? If the tank is actually getting too much pressure, what is the cause and fix for this?

thanks

Bill