Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Potential recall issue-snow chains

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2007, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential recall issue-snow chains

I'm hoping this post gets attn. from Chevrolet engineers.
I was test fitting snow chains on my 07 Tahoe this weekend when I noticed that the brake line serving the right rear wheel is dangerously close to the inside tire wall. The chains actually come into contact with the brake line. This presents an extemely dangerous situation which Chevrolet needs to address.
I was able to pull the line away from the tire about 1 inch and restrain with the retaining clips on the cross bar, but this is hardly a permanent fix.
Has anyone else discovered or heard anything concerning this issue?
Dave Adams
Old February 13th, 2007, 3:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Potential recall issue-snow chains

In most parts of the states, it is illegal to use snow chains on public roads. So they really aren't concerned with it. Not a lot of people use snow chains any more anyways. I got a ****ty S10 with 2WD 2.2L stick shift and I live in MI. I have yet to use snow chains with any of our vehicles.
2002 Merucry Mountaineer, 1998 Dodge Intrepid, 1994 For Aerostar, 2005 Mazda MPV, and a 2001 Explorer Sport.
Old February 13th, 2007, 7:20 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The "brake line" that you are referring to is actually the emergency brake cable.
Please tell me that you are not installing tire chains on 20" wheel/tires?
Old February 13th, 2007, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. OK I'll bite...why is it not a good idea to install snow chains( actually cables) on 20 " tires?? In California the Highway Patrol will not allow you to proceed on mountian roads w/o chains/cables in snowing conditions. Generally they are on for very limited periods. Is their something peculiar about 20" tires?
Old February 13th, 2007, 9:54 PM
CF Active Member

The reason why they are illegal in some areas is because they damage the roads very very heavily when used. As far as 20" wheels, I'm not sure?
Old February 14th, 2007, 4:28 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excerpt from owners manual below, please read your manual it is produced for your safety, there is actually some very good information in there.

Tire Chains Caution:If your vehicle has P265/65R18 or P275/55R20 size tires, do not use tire chains. They can damage your vehicle because there is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension, or other vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire chains could cause you to lose control of your vehicle and you or others may be injured in a crash. Use another type of traction device only if its manufacturer recommends it for use on your vehicle and tire size combination and road conditions. Follow that manufacturer's instructions. To help avoid damage to your vehicle, drive slowly, readjust or remove the device if it is contacting your vehicle, and do not spin your vehicle's wheels. If you do find traction devices that will fit, install them on the rear tires. Notice:If your vehicle has P265/70R17 size tires, use tire chains only where legal and only when you must. Use chains that are the proper size for your vehicle's tires. Install them on the rear tires only.Do not use chains on the front tires.Tighten them as tightly as possible with the ends securely fastened. Drive slowly and follow the chain manufacturer's instructions. If you can hear the chains contacting your vehicle, stop and retighten them. If the contact continues, slow down until it stops. Driving too fast or spinning the wheels with chains on will damage your vehicle.
Old February 14th, 2007, 7:47 PM
CF Active Member

Been awhile since we have had enough snow to require chains on the passes around here. But the Staters will turn you around if you don't have chains or studs when they are required.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

So I did read this in my manual. I called chevy and they said they do not know of an alternative to the chains that would not effect the car. Next I will call Kragen, but I cannot find anything online. Do you know of any alternatives?
Old March 8th, 2009, 4:39 PM
CF Active Member

4 wheel drive is an excellent alternative to tire chains.