Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power liftgate closing issues

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2014, 8:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power liftgate closing issues

Ok, I've scoured the ends of the Internet searching for the answer to my problem. I have an '07 Suburban LTZ with the power liftgate. The problem is that the liftgate will open with the switch on the outside handle, with the button on the key fob and with the button on the overhead console. When it comes to closing the liftgate, however, it's a different story. With the gate open, when the button on the bottom of the door is pressed to close it, it will close maybe 1/3 of the way and then reverse and return to the fully open position. I've read in several threads that replacing the liftgate latch assembly would correct this problem. After several months of debating, I finally broke down and spent around $200 for the assembly (gm part #13581405). It swapped out fairly easily and I was anxious to push that button and finally watch that thing close. I need to add that before swapping the switch it reached a point where pushing this button produced no movement whatsoever. So after the swap I pushed the button and the gate began to close. I was thinking "yes, finally!" We'll, it reached that 1/3 point and back up she went. Damn! So now I'm back to square one and $200 poorer. There has to be an answer, but I just can't figure it out. I know I could take it to the stealership, but I'm not interested in giving them any more of my hard earned money. Has anyone out there experienced this? Any advice on how to troubleshoot this that doesn't include taking it to the dealership or using a scanner that only the dealership or mechanics would have? Hope I can finally get this figured out as it's driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.
Old May 25th, 2014, 9:04 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

It could be whatever senses resistance when closing has either failed or needs adjusting if that's even possible. Have you tried applying pressure on the way down to see if it would continue down?
Old May 25th, 2014, 9:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
It could be whatever senses resistance when closing has either failed or needs adjusting if that's even possible. Have you tried applying pressure on the way down to see if it would continue down?
I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I wondered if there were sensors somewhere to sense obstructions, like a garage door, that would cause it to reverse like that.
Old May 25th, 2014, 9:23 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Yes there is something, probably motor load current.
Old May 26th, 2014, 7:35 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

What about the lift struts binding? you'd think i'd not go up but its something to keep in mind...