Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power steering fluid change

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2019, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum. You might try calling a dealer parts department and give them that part number and they can look it up and tell you what the fluid is and what size the container is.
What happened to my post?
Old June 18th, 2019, 9:51 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by L-Mo
I just signed up with this discussion group because I think I got a bogus answer from a GM chat. Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but it is specific to my concern.

I have a 2009 Suburban 2500 4x4 with 150,000 miles and what I believe is their combined heavier PS/PB system.
I purchased this vehicle in great condition with rather high miles, and to the best of my knowledge the PS fluid has never been changed.

The owner's manual shows 89021184 as the proper fluid, and after reading a bunch of discussion threads I believe that is a normal petroleum product specific for their PS/PB system. Not ATF or anything synthetic.
The manual never gives any idea to use ATF for this system, and I have no idea if that part number describes the product, or is it specific to a particular container size of that product. i.e. quart vs pint vs gallon.
I also don't know if that part number has been superseded to some other number.

I tried to contact GM using their e-mail feature and never heard back. I never received any indication my e-mail was actually transmitted or received, so I tried their chat feature.
I'm fearful of calling GM because my hearing isn't the greatest and my experience with other contacts is usually getting a well-meaning rep who speaks a version of English that I can't readily understand.
After what seemed like a too-long time the chat guy determined "Thank you for waiting. Upon checking, the recommended fluid is DEXRONŽ-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid."

After all these years and possible changes in ATF, is that really what I should use in this system, or am I about to cause harm to my vehicle with the wrong fluid? Particularly a concern if I'd only need to add fluid and not replace the entire system contents.
If I choose to do a system change should I consider using something synthetic, and if so --- which product?

While I have this vehicle for it's ability to occasionally pull a 10,000 lb trailer the Suburban gets a lot of highway miles, but not too much in towing or other heavy loads that would cause extra strain on either system as some folks have described for their vehicle's normal life.
Any confirmed suggestions on what to use, and if this is actually a necessary service and not in the category of the proverbial "ain't broke, don't touch it"?

The GM chat declined to offer a link to instructions on how to change the fluid, and instead suggested I contact a local dealership for my safety --- so I'll be following videos on Youtube if I decide to change the fluid unless you folks have a better idea.
You can read that as I'm cheap and too stubborn to visit a dealership for this theoretically easy maintenance issue.

I have a friend with a similar sized and age Silverado, as well as a motor home that apparently uses this GM PS/PB system. While he's usually in the "ain't broke" club he's considering following my lead once we get the best info about the best fluid and procedure.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by L-Mo
What happened to my post?
It's still there ahead of mine.
Old June 18th, 2019, 10:17 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i see it. know sometimes they wont pop up unless you try to scroll all the way up