Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power window stops halfway down 1995 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2021, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window stops halfway down 1995 Suburban

Hi all, awhile back, my drivers side rear window stopped going all the way down.
Seemingly instantaneously, that power door lock stopped working. It sometimes works, but often enough, it does not.
It will lock manually.
I figure something rattled loose in the lock mechanism, and was blocking the window.
Today the weather was nice enough to open it up and take a look. Sadly, I couldn't find any easy answers. Nothing seems to be blocking the tracks, the gears dont look damaged, and I cant see or feel anything being wrong.

Anybody had a similar occurance?
Thanks in advance.
Bobby
Old March 22nd, 2021, 8:59 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

I'd try spraying in aerosol silicone lubricant into the window channels. Note that this is not "use some WD-40 because I had it lying around".

I'd listen for any sounds while someone tries the door lock/unlock buttons.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cusser
I'd try spraying in aerosol silicone lubricant into the window channels. Note that this is not "use some WD-40 because I had it lying around".

I'd listen for any sounds while someone tries the door lock/unlock buttons.
Thanks for the reply, Sir.
I've got the door panel removed, reattached the power window switch, and I'm looking inside the cutouts at the tracks, and gearing, while watching it. It's not a slow, slide to stop, it's a sudden bang, stop, like the window hits something mid stride. I just cant seem to figure out what its hitting....
Old March 22nd, 2021, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

So after rereading Cussers post, and focusing more on the lock end of it, I found that two rivets had failed and allowed the lock linkage to roll outwards towards the doorskin, just enough to block the window. It also explained why the lock still worked, but was very hard to engage.
I drilled out the old rivets , replaced them, and everything is working again.
Thanks Cusser.

Old April 28th, 2023, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Blocked Window Passenger Side Rear Ddoor

Originally Posted by SurfAnimal
I found that two rivets had failed and allowed the lock linkage to roll outwards towards the doorskin, just enough to block the window. It also explained why the lock still worked, but was very hard to engage.
I drilled out the old rivets , replaced them, and everything is working again.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I just encountered this exact issue on my '96 Suburban.
I only became aware of it after the door suffered a dent in its lower portion and I thought that door damage was the cause of the window ceasing to go down all the way.
It wasn't.
With the door panel off to push the dent out from the inside, I also began tackling the window issue.
After spending some of my own unsuccessful diagnostic time, this thread clinched it. Problem solved.