Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Prior GSA patrol Tahoe 2003..help

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prior GSA patrol Tahoe 2003..help

first of all thank you for stopping by. this is my first post here in these forums. well i just bought a 2003 4x4 tahoe at a gsa auction. it was a prior patrol car so they had a bunch of wiring going on...well i manage to removed all the wires that were previously cut and that they warent in use anymore....i got the horn to work again but for some reason the drivers master switch control doesn work at all...its like if it was dead because i cant roll windows up or down....lock or unlock...or adjust sideview mirrirors...the speakers work but even the light on the side of the door is off....im going to remove the door panel today but does anyone have any suggestions? anything is greatly appreaciated...thank you very much.
Old July 1st, 2011, 3:47 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Might want to give every fuses in the fuse boxes a good twice over just to make sure they are all seated and working before opening up the door to find no power....
Also check the area where the wiring goes into the door in the hinge area to make sure its not a broken wire....
Old July 1st, 2011, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

thanks in2pro for checking out my post...well after breaking my head trying to figure out what i did was to take the switch from the passanger seat off and put it over in the drivers side and that worked so i figured the wiring was fine...i went out and paid 200 at the dealer for a new master switch! once it was back on everything works perfect BUT the drivers window??? im confused now....what else can it be this time?
Old July 1st, 2011, 8:04 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

If the other windows work from the driver's switch then check to see if the motor is getting 12VDC. If it is and isn't working, then probably a bad motor.
Old July 1st, 2011, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

hey 73shark...thanks for your reply...now to be honest im ok with the basics on a car but when checking cables and power im not that good...all i can tell you is that i do have a fluke so im sure thats what i would be using...now when i check for 12vdc should i be hitting the switch to make sure something is going through? i know this sounds really stupid but im not good with readings of that kind...but i will def. try and check it out..once again thanks for your support
Old July 1st, 2011, 8:48 PM
Administrator

Check for 12VDC coming into the switch and then going out of the switch. Then if you have it there, check at the motor. Put your black lead on a good ground and use the red lead to check for voltage. If you have something less than 12VDC at the motor and the motor is not running, then there's probably a short in the motor.
Old July 1st, 2011, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

ok sounds good...ill go ahead and do that. i was just confused since this is a brand new switch that i bought today so i wasnt sure if it was the motor or some wiring problem, i just didnt know where to start but thanks to you guys i have some sort of guidence!
Old July 1st, 2011, 9:34 PM
Administrator

Chances are it's either wiring from the switch to the motor or the motor itself. Check to make sure regulator spring isn't broken.