Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

pump stop when pumping fuel 07 tahoe

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2012, 9:08 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Try siphoning gas out of your Tahoe. Bet ya can't.

Siphoning it out of the filler neck on a full tank doesn't count...
Old March 22nd, 2012, 9:10 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
Interesting enough, it has worked in Brazil for decades. They are now starting on E-100 also.

How does E-85 RUIN an engine?
How does E-85 cause food prices to RISE?

If what you say had one GRAIN of truth, then sugar from Brazil would be twice the price of sugar from any other source. As a matter of fact, the price of sugar and corn have increased at less than the rate of inflation.
Fact is, just like all commodity products, speculation, supply, demand, oil prices determine the consumer prices.

Do a little research before posting BS next time.
E85 will ruin any engine and fuel system not designed for it such as marine engines. E10 is not good for them either.

Sugar has a high import tariff which when combined w/ the subsidy for corn-based ethanol, makes it almost as cheap as gas but w/ about 25% less energy, gives a lower mpg. When you divert our corn production to alky, the food processors bid the price up. Funny how that supply and demand thing works when left unfettered. If the Feds would stay out of it, we'd either use sugar based ethanol or not at all. And we wouldn't be using high fructose corn syrup for sweetners which is slowly killing us off.

BTW I thought Brazil was already using E100.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 9:24 PM
Administrator

I'll add my .2¢..Many other countries don't have the strict emissions standards that the US has. Many of the emissions controls are plastic, alcohol with plastics and rubber just don't do well over time...
Old March 23rd, 2012, 8:03 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E85

So, your saying that a high demand for corn won't raise corn prices? which lead to higher beef prices?

that's odd, because, it has.

Corn Historical Prices Charts - Historical Commodity Futures Charts'

and beef:

Beef price chart, 2000-2011

so, it's not "BS".

E85 was developed to get people into office. Democracy isn't what's right, it's whats popular.

The people would buy votes by promising farmers more money for their corn with all these 'new' uses.

And, they would get votes.

It takes MORE fuel, energy, and creates MORE pollution to clear land, plant corn, harvest, and then make it a fuel and distribute it than makes any sense. Between the diesel tractors, pesticides, and land use, the whole thing is idiotic.

You compare the US to Brazil where Ethanol is made from wheat grass. a much less intense prospect.

However, it does not correct the underlying issues with ethanol fuel being run in engines designed for gasoline.

Boat gas tanks were, for many years made of fiberglass, ethanol eats fiberglass, it turns it to gum:

destroying thousands of dollars worth of equipment, with no warning to the owner:

BoatUS: Seaworthy

Next up are people like me who own and work on high performance boat engines. Between my 502s, 525s, and even jet ski engines. I've seen massive damage caused by E10! E10! not even E85.

The E10 causes issues with my PWC engine because it doesn't play nice with the oil designed for these engines (2 stroke) causing less lubrication and ultimately premature engine failure.

In one of my boat's 502s the E10 (hence forth referred to as **** fuel) burns hotter, causing a valve to deform and basically grenade a $55,000 engine that was not under warranty.

My brand new 2011 (as of Jan 2011 when I bought it) John Deere riding mower (X320) specifically states "E10 voids your warranty". I really hope I don't have to, but I would enjoy the process of taking them to court and saying, thanks to the gov't officials all making over $600,000 a year not giving a rats *** about real consumers, and forcing E10 on us, where the hell am I supposed to by this mythical pure gas? If I can't buy pure gas, and E10 is the only thing I can fuel up, then how can this void my warranty?

My other boat has a 460 in it, and right on the cap "DO NOT USE FUEL WITH ANY ETHANOL". Are you saying that my $35,000 week day toy is now useless and I should just deal with it because democracy is a flawed system? I don't like pollution any more than anyone else. But E10/85/whatever are NOT the answer.

The EPA tests all cars for the (random number) MPG ratings using PURE GAS. Apparently they don't even trust this stuff.

E10 and 85 return LESS MPG than pure gas. There is LESS power per gallon in ethanol.

So, here's this fuel that we cleared down thousands of acres of trees to grow, and it costs so much that the gov't has to subsidize it, while driving up food prices, then it destroys my engines, (My week whacker still doesn't run right). AND I get LESS MPG?!

Wow, where do I sign up?
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
So, your saying that a high demand for corn won't raise corn prices? which lead to higher beef prices?

that's odd, because, it has.

Corn Historical Prices Charts - Historical Commodity Futures Charts'

and beef:

Beef price chart, 2000-2011

so, it's not "BS".

E85 was developed to get people into office. Democracy isn't what's right, it's whats popular.

The people would buy votes by promising farmers more money for their corn with all these 'new' uses.

And, they would get votes.

It takes MORE fuel, energy, and creates MORE pollution to clear land, plant corn, harvest, and then make it a fuel and distribute it than makes any sense. Between the diesel tractors, pesticides, and land use, the whole thing is idiotic.

You compare the US to Brazil where Ethanol is made from wheat grass. a much less intense prospect.

However, it does not correct the underlying issues with ethanol fuel being run in engines designed for gasoline.

Boat gas tanks were, for many years made of fiberglass, ethanol eats fiberglass, it turns it to gum:

destroying thousands of dollars worth of equipment, with no warning to the owner:

BoatUS: Seaworthy

Next up are people like me who own and work on high performance boat engines. Between my 502s, 525s, and even jet ski engines. I've seen massive damage caused by E10! E10! not even E85.

The E10 causes issues with my PWC engine because it doesn't play nice with the oil designed for these engines (2 stroke) causing less lubrication and ultimately premature engine failure.

In one of my boat's 502s the E10 (hence forth referred to as **** fuel) burns hotter, causing a valve to deform and basically grenade a $55,000 engine that was not under warranty.

My brand new 2011 (as of Jan 2011 when I bought it) John Deere riding mower (X320) specifically states "E10 voids your warranty". I really hope I don't have to, but I would enjoy the process of taking them to court and saying, thanks to the gov't officials all making over $600,000 a year not giving a rats *** about real consumers, and forcing E10 on us, where the hell am I supposed to by this mythical pure gas? If I can't buy pure gas, and E10 is the only thing I can fuel up, then how can this void my warranty?

My other boat has a 460 in it, and right on the cap "DO NOT USE FUEL WITH ANY ETHANOL". Are you saying that my $35,000 week day toy is now useless and I should just deal with it because democracy is a flawed system? I don't like pollution any more than anyone else. But E10/85/whatever are NOT the answer.

The EPA tests all cars for the (random number) MPG ratings using PURE GAS. Apparently they don't even trust this stuff.

E10 and 85 return LESS MPG than pure gas. There is LESS power per gallon in ethanol.

So, here's this fuel that we cleared down thousands of acres of trees to grow, and it costs so much that the gov't has to subsidize it, while driving up food prices, then it destroys my engines, (My week whacker still doesn't run right). AND I get LESS MPG?!

Wow, where do I sign up?
I assume your rebutting slw210 above. I thought Brazil was making sugar based ethanol.

You just lost all credibility in your "hate GM" rants. Any one who can afford all of the above listed toys, can certainly afford to offload a lemon Tahoe.

Ethanol does allow more spark advance and can theoretically make more power. Don't know if the programming allows this.

Ethanol is also a mild acid which is another reason it destroys systems not designed for it.

You'll undoubtedly be glad to hear that the EPA is promoting E15.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes

interesting:

Ethanol fuel has a "gasoline gallon equivalency" (GGE) value of 1.5 US gallons

however, with engines that are not designed for it, it just ruins them instead.

Yea I have a few toys, but it's only because I personally do the work on them that I'm able to have them... If I had to pay someone to work on them, no way... and my 'normal' work week pushes 60 hours... so when I do nothing wrong and my engine blows up because some ******* wanted votes, I tend to get a bit ticked off...

But I like engines / mechanics. I do IT for a living, but mechanics is way more fun.

Do we need to reduce / eliminate our gasoline use? Yes! of course.

However taking a food source and making it a fuel... was to buy votes. It has nothing to do with the environment or anything else.

Electric cars are the future.

period.

The ONLY distribution systems we have in the US are OIL/GAS lines and... POWER LINES.

if a car got 300 miles to a 'charge' and charged in 30 min, and could tow 6,000 lbs and carry 6 people? and costs same as a Tahoe (or non gm ). Sign me the hell up.

Charging the car removes the volatility of the energy market.

Electricity can be generated from almost anything. Coal, Nukes, Natural Gas, hydro, etc, thus reducing the oppertunity that one energy source could disrupt the market.

actually, here in PA, they are shutting down some coal plants, and they plan to build 4 or so natural gas plants because right now gas is so cheap...
Old March 23rd, 2012, 2:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Charging the car removes the volatility of the energy market.
And we are all only pawns in the game...Money decides what we will drive...
When there is real money to be made in the electric vehicle market then they will rule the world...