Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Question for Northern Tahoes owners...

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2006, 4:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Northern Tahoes owners...

I've lived in the South all of my life and was just wondering how y'all Yankee Boys deal with the snow and ice build-up on your vehicles in bad weather. I've driven in the slush a few times and the build-up behind the wheels is terrible. It must add 1,000 LBS to a Tahoe if you have traveled any distance. If it stays cold for a long period of time how do you get it off? How does the road salt effect the underside and those pretty bling bling wheels? Just wondering, you guys must deal with things we have never heard of down here. We are due our first cold spell tomorrow with a little sleet or snow ( not much) but it will be gone in 24 hours but that's a big deal around here. What can I except in the way my 07' handles on icy roads? Thanks for your input and "GO COWBOYS"!!!
Old November 29th, 2006, 6:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Question for Northern Tahoes owners...

It will be a mess tomorrow here in Dallas/Ft. Worth - worse in the norther parts where I am. I am making my wife park the Hoe tomorrow and take her mom's VW bug. Even though she has a 1.5 mile comute, it is up a hill and through an S curve on blacktop and will certainly ice up before the concrete roads will. If you have a choice, stay home tomorrow or don't take the hoe's out. Even if you have 4 wheel drive, it is useless on icy bridges and overpasses. My office sits right off of the High 5 interchange and I am going to enjoy watching all the sliding that will be going on.
Old November 29th, 2006, 6:20 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Woke up to 8” of snow where I am today.
Typically the ice and snow build up (that you speak of) will only get so heavy and then it usually falls away, it does not have much of a snow-ball effect.
The truck is made of double sided galvanized steel that resists corrosion from salt, and most of the automatic car washes in the north have sealed doors at both ends and are heated, they spray the underside of the vehicle and then blow dry before you exit.
The wheels are clear-coated and are no more susceptible to damage than the paint job.

Depending on tires the vehicle handles wonderfully and the 4-Wheel-Drive system works well to get you rolling, once you’re over about 20MPH then 4X4 does very little for you and the laws a physics take over.
Old November 29th, 2006, 6:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Driving in snow with 4 wheel drive is great you just have to remember that it doesn't help you slow down. The first few snowfalls are agrivating cause everybody drives like a scared cat and does 10mph. Mid season cars are doing 50 in a blizzard. The biggest issue is dragging snow inside and it melts getting everything wet. just need a good rubber floor mat that catches water. A good ice scraper clears the windshield, either that or just run the vehicle for awhile with the defroster on. Get the bulk of the snow off with a broom or the broom end of an ice scraper. After about 10 minutes of driving everything is melted and normal.
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:14 AM
CF Active Member

Now I know why all you guys come south to retire. It must be a hassle fighting the ice and snow all winter. Good luck and keep it out of the bar ditch.

TexasTahoe
I've been watching the news and all they are talking about is the high-5 in Big D. Make sure and get some pics or video. The show should be awesome. For those that don't know what the high-5 is the Marines have a good name for it and that's a Cluster F**k. It's five freeways on top of each other heading in all directions.

Thanks for all the info.
Old November 30th, 2006, 1:39 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Was a little disappointed when I realized the inside air intakes in the cowl are recessed. With the wintry mix KC got tonite, they were a bitch to get clear out. I assumed that there wasn't any other source for outside air. And still trying to locate winter wiper blades that will fit the new, unique mounting on the arms.
Old November 30th, 2006, 3:02 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: Gman

Now I know why all you guys come south to retire. It must be a hassle fighting the ice and snow all winter. Good luck and keep it out of the bar ditch.
Quite the contrary. Most people complain about it but many more than you think enjoy it. I lived in Florida for a short time but couldn't stand it. I love the snow. Sure the cold gets a little annoying after awhile but it makes you appreciate the spring more. There are quite a few great things aboout Winter.

Skiing, Snowmobiling, taking the kids sledding and givin them hot chocolate afterwards by the roaring firepalce. Sleigh ride with the wife, Ice Skating either near home or in downtown Chicago. The beauty of fresh fallen snow on a peaceful neighborhood.

I would never live somewhere like Florida again. C'mon snow!!!
Old November 30th, 2006, 5:45 PM
CF Active Member

As usual we didn't get much snow and that's a good thing if your a working person. My wife made the 25 mile trip to Lear Corp. this morning with no problems. The only bad thing was she got her Tahoe dirty in the cold rain. I it had to happen sooner or later. I guess it was better then sliding on ice and snow. The ride home this afternoon maybe worst because it's getting colder. We don't have 4-wheel drive so when we do get some bad weather it may be a challenge with this vehicle.

doo600
The only reason I would go to Chicago is for the pizza and brats. When you dig out of all that snow come on down and try some world famous BBQ brisket.
Old November 30th, 2006, 8:55 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: Gman

As usual we didn't get much snow and that's a good thing if your a working person. My wife made the 25 mile trip to Lear Corp. this morning with no problems. The only bad thing was she got her Tahoe dirty in the cold rain. I it had to happen sooner or later. I guess it was better then sliding on ice and snow. The ride home this afternoon maybe worst because it's getting colder. We don't have 4-wheel drive so when we do get some bad weather it may be a challenge with this vehicle.

doo600
The only reason I would go to Chicago is for the pizza and brats. When you dig out of all that snow come on down and try some world famous BBQ brisket.
I wasn't trying to start an argument about who has the better city. I was merely stating my opinion of a state I have previously lived in. Never said you had to like Chicago or snow. Have a good day.
Old November 30th, 2006, 9:16 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I commute for work between Utah, Southern California and Michigan and after much time in any one of those places I long for one of the others.

Quick Reply: Question for Northern Tahoes owners...