Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Question on proper fuel hoses/lines for 2004 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2018, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on proper fuel hoses/lines for 2004 Suburban

I have a 2004 Suburban 1500LT 5.3 Vortec with 281K miles on it. For quite a while it's been intermittently difficult to fuel, with the fuel pump shutting off if I fuel too rapidly (or sometimes just clicking off every couple ounces, taking forever to fill). Was already looking at having to fix the evap system, and yesterday it started throwing code P0442, so I've got the evap canister, purge valve and vent solenoid on the way (really only want to do this once).

One thing I'm concerned about is the hoses - the fuel fill hose was replaced relatively recently, but the rest of the hoses & lines for the evap system are, as far as I know, original. I'm no expert on fuel lines - what's the proper sort of hose to use if any of these are already damaged or get damaged while I'm in the midst of repair? I'd like to have them on-hand since with the car jacked up and the evap system in pieces getting to the auto parts store would be a pain!
Old August 2nd, 2018, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced all the fuel lines (including the evap lines) on my 2002 K2500 Suburban.

If I recall correctly, the evap lines all had quick-release connectors at the ends, and there were several different types of quick-releases. Many of the lines were hardlines (steel) with softlines attached near the ends. If you do break something it would likely be the quick-release connectors.

Check Rock Auto for your year/model. They show some pictures of complete fuel line kits, which will give you some idea of what they look like.

Steve