Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Radiator Support Replacement

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2012, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I was able to barter an 8' length of red oak with a local body man to help get the truck back together. We mounted the support on the bushings, and torqued them down as far as we could, only to find that we were still about 1/2" higher than the fenders. After a bit of finagling with a flat prybar, we managed to lever the fenders up and over the support and finally line everything up. More than likely the fenders shifted downwards a bit after the collision.

He said that a professional shop would have probably pulled the fenders to get the job done. That's what full insurance coverage is for...

I still need to shift everything about 1/2" to the right in order for the hood to fit properly. It looks like all I need to do is loosen the bushings, use either a come-along or a ratchet strap to move everything into alignment, then tighten everything back down.
Old February 13th, 2012, 6:00 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Glad you got it back together. Probably should get a wheel alignment done as I suspect you may have some minor frame bending.