Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Random not starting, dead battery after engine shut off

Old August 18th, 2017, 4:21 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Random not starting, dead battery after engine shut off

So I meant to post this a while back, I was having what appeared to be a dead battery. I would have random no starts and the battery would show low charge.
After a long road trip and seeing the charge indicator bounce around and a no start, all the lights go out I figured my AGM battery had finally bit the big one.
At my last no start, nothing but clicks and all lights go out situation(fortunity in my own driveway) I popped the hood and wanted to check the battery terminals while I had the key still in the ignition, in the ignition on position.
I first wiggled the positive cable and terminal, nothing, checked the neg terminal all good, but as soon as I shook the negative cable to the block, I heard the door chimes go off and the AC blower motor kick in.
A little investigating and a simple wiggle of the cable would open up the connection from the battery to the block, the cable looked sound but I after removing it I could flex it and with a meter see it go completely open.
I suspect it was corrosion in the eyelet that connects to the block as the wire looked fine but a fine film of corrosion build up was probably between the copper wiring and the eyelet connector.
I got a new cable and replaced it, so far the random lights dimming and other gremlins have gone away. Apparently the smaller cable that runs to the front of the chassis from the main negative cable was carrying the load, if and when you replace your negative cable know to do it right you will need to remove the front passenger wheel and wheel cowling/shroud to gain access to it's connection point.

Attached Thumbnails Random not starting,  dead battery after engine shut off-looks-fine-but-its-not-.jpg   Random not starting,  dead battery after engine shut off-replacement-part.jpg  
Old August 18th, 2017, 5:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

El Chepo
Old August 18th, 2017, 8:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I should clarify, the original cable in the truck is the one that failed, and I replaced it with OEM. I posted a picture of the part so anyone needing the part number could find it.
The replacement cable was exactly like the original down to the length and included the wire loom.

Search this Thread