Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear climate control freaking out

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2020, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear climate control freaking out

Hey everyone, I haven't been able to find a thread on this particular issue and wondered if anyone had an insight on repairing it. I have an 04 Tahoe LT that has the auto climate controls up front and the rear climate control that can be controlled up front or in back depending on which setting it's on. I can be driving with the rear controls off or just barely on and out of nowhere it will kick on the rear full blast, then a few minutes later will kick off like nothing happened! Sometimes it'll be full hot, sometimes it will be full cold and it doesn't seem to matter at all where the dials are. On top of that, while I haven't checked it extensively (always up front driving) I don't think the aux controls do anything when it is in that mode as I recall. The front climate works flawlessly. Could it be one of or both of the rear controllers? Perhaps a rear cabin sensor? Any advice would be appreciated.

On a side and unrelated note... I have the bose system with an aftermarket stereo that has the bose amp still in place and 95% of the time all works great... Except when it's really cold outside, there is no sound through the speakers. The stereo appears to be operating normally, just zero sound, no fuzz no anything. Like maybe the amp is too cold to kick on? Has anyone had this issue?
Old November 12th, 2020, 10:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Check this link out: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevrol...pos=3&at_tot=4

Is especially important in rust belt areas.
Old November 16th, 2020, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks PNW, I'll have to check out those cables. I have checked battery connections, but not the cables and lower connections. It has had some other electrical demons in it in the past, so maybe this will be a positive step either way. I'm not in the rust belt, but here in northern california we get a range from from low 20*'s all the way up to 115* and all sorts of moisture/rain in the winter. I could see moisture in those cables freezing and causing issues.
Old November 16th, 2020, 1:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Check this link out: https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/h...d%20alternator

If you plan on keeping the rig, you should do this upgrade.