Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Defrost Window Tabs

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2008, 5:42 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts
Default RE: Rear Defrost Window Tabs

How do you heat it enuf to flow the solder? Seems like the glass would sink all of the heat away.
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tab just fell off to, I guess I'll have to chalk this up there with the other issues that I've had.
Good to know i'm not alone, but then again it's not.
I'm still under warranty so is it better to repair myself or take it to the dealer?
Thanks, deejayrock
Old February 25th, 2008, 5:18 AM
CF Junior Member

One of the main reasons I traded in my old Tahoe for my '07 is becausethis one'sunder warranty. I'm all about doing my own work, and I do a lot of things myself, but if something breaks that shouldn't have broke I'm definitely taking it back to the dealer. Isn't that how service bulletins get issued and recalls go into effect? Yeah, I know that your defrost tab isn't a major concern (depending on where you live), but if everyone keeps fixing "little" problems GM is going to think they built a perfect vehicle. Just my two cents.
Old February 25th, 2008, 6:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you do it yourself? I keep wondering why people would. Please guys, take it back to be repaired under warranty.
Old February 25th, 2008, 6:59 PM
CF Senior Member

I guess it's time to break the tab back off and head to the dealer for the new window...

ORIGINAL: Colorado Chief

Just had mine done at the dealer, they re-solderedit back on and it has held so far. If that doesn't work they have to replace the back window..
Old October 21st, 2009, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Rear Window Defrost Tabs

I have an 07 Chev Tahoe and I am on my third rear window because the defrost tabs keep coming off! We have tried soudering the tabs on, had the local glass company use a special glue for auto windows(all under warranty) and no luck!! The last brand new window that chevrolet put on my tahoe lasted three days before it broke off! Come on chevrolet you need to do a recall! This is ridiculous! I have always been a chevrolet person but I think my next vehicle will have a FORD logo on it!!! Any suggestions or ideas?!?!?!? Thanks!
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default design

I hope i'm not the only one who thinks this is of poor design... i almost never open my top 1/2 of the thing... i don't really see why it even opens... especially if you have the power lift gate...
Old October 22nd, 2009, 1:32 PM
Administrator

One fix is to stretch the coiled leads so they aren't stressing the tabs.

Do you open the glass very often?

stsql: I use mine once in awhile to just put something small in so I don't have to wait on the liftgate to open. Also if carrying a lot of junk, to inspect the load before I open the gate to make sure the junk doesn't fall out.
Old December 27th, 2009, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Tahoe and the right rear defrost chord came off about 6 months ago and it was still under warrenty so the dealer attempted to sauder it back on and was unsuccessful so they had to replace the rear window. Just the other day the left chord broke off and, wouldn't you know it, my warranty is up. Is there a recall out there that I should know about or am I screwed? Thanks.
Old December 27th, 2009, 8:27 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

If you've maintained a good relationship w/ your service dept, they will probably help you out, maybe even replace the window again, if not then you might try the Permatex defroster gridline repair. It's basically a conductive epoxy. Whichever way you go, stretch the cords enuf so there is no stress on the tabs. I noticed that on my new one, they're already pre-stretched.

Quick Reply: Rear Defrost Window Tabs