Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Hatch will not open when below freezing

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2022, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch will not open when below freezing

Hi All,

I have a 2018 Suburban... it appears when temps drop below freezing, whether we've had prior precipitation or not, the hatch will not open. It will "unlock" and attempt to raise but will not go any further than a few inches. After temps rise above freezing (given a few hours after that), the hatch will open. Once I forced it up and heard cracking/splintering, but nothing is broken.

Could moisture be in the shocks? I don't believe it's the motor but I'm no expert. It does attempt to raise up. I have an appointment with the local Chevy dealership but they can't see me until mid-January. And I was hoping maybe it was something simple and I could fix it instead of paying thousands of dollars.

Thanks all!
Old December 25th, 2022, 9:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jstein1206
I have a 2018 Suburban... it appears when temps drop below freezing, whether we've had prior precipitation or not, the hatch will not open. It will "unlock" and attempt to raise but will not go any further than a few inches. After temps rise above freezing (given a few hours after that), the hatch will open. !
When it only will "go up" a few inches - now, don't get dirty here - lift the hatch manually and see if the two outer lift supports will hold the hatch open. If the hatch drops, then at least one of the two outer lift supports is faulty, went through this last year on our 2011 Yukon.

The fix is to install a new pair of lift supports. Open the hatch use a 2x4 or similar to hold the hatch in the up position, and replace the two outer lift supports. Easy. I bought our pair of lift supports through Amazon, less expensive than getting at local parts stores. Note the the smaller lift supports for the glass-only part are way different !!!
Old December 25th, 2022, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply! When forced open (only did it once, didn't want to break anything), the lifts did keep the hatch up and there was no give in them. I think i agree with you that it's the two lifts, but wants to verify before i replace them.
Old December 25th, 2022, 10:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

If even one strut is weak the lift motor will shut down in its protection mode. Cold weather brings out the weakness in those struts.
Old December 26th, 2022, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks all, looks like it's the struts, I've purchased a set and we'll see how it goes.
Old December 26th, 2022, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Hope the struts solve your problem.