Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear License Plate Mount Modify?

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear License Plate Mount Modify?

I have a 2003 Sub Z71. I bought it in June. I like it except for the rear license plate mount. Actually, both front anf back are funky but I took the front one off and have it in a bag in the car in case I get pulled over! (But officer, it JUST fell off yesterday and I don't know how to fix it all by my little self)
Anyway, the rear plate "mount" is 2 plastic gromet things that hold with bolts or screws2 plastic -I guess you would call them spacers that the plate is then bolted to. The whole thing wiggle-waggles back and forth. One day it will be level and centered, the next day it will be lower on one side and crooked. I HATE it! It is not sturdy at all! Has anyone found or made a better mounting system? I am asking Santa for a rear backup camera and I want the plate to be solidly mounted before that happens. plusI may want to get a cool plate or plate frame but don't want it all ****-eyed. Any ideas or sources for me?
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear License Plate Mount Modify?

OK, I whined enough and threatened to "DIY" until my husband made me a great metal plate maount. He has a shop with some metal tools etc and I heard "I used the brake (break?)" Anyway, I will take some pics and upload so maybe some of you who are not a fan of the rear mount may want to copy...