Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear lift gate closing on me while loading!!!!

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2015, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Rear lift gate closing on me while loading!!!!

Has anyone had problems with the lift gate closing on you as you are loading things in the truck? I have a 2015 Tahoe and it has happened over five times since January. It almost took out my young son, started closing on my husband and yesterday again started closing on me as I was loading a hockey bag and quickly moved so I wouldn't get hit and fell backwards on the concrete! I have taken it in once and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. No "codes" showed up. Obviously something is wrong!!!
I saw posts about this from 2006/2007 but nothing more recent.
Any help?
The following users liked this post:
Debbie Adair (October 14th, 2019)
Old September 29th, 2015, 6:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It is unfortunate you are having problems with your 2015 Tahoe.

When the lift gate is opened and closed using the power operation, do you hear any noise. Have you tried opening and closing the rear hatch manually? When you close it, do you feel any binding? You may feel the binding from a full open position.

There is a technical service bulletin #PIT5407 listed that notes the problem that you are describing. Please contact your dealer's service department and suggest that they review this bulletin.

Good luck with your new Tahoe. Hopefully, this issue can be resolved soon.
Old September 29th, 2015, 7:39 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power Liftgate Binding / Popping Noise When Operated Or May Not Stay Open ? 2015 Cadillac Chevrolet GMC VehiclesOEMDTC - OEMDTC
Old September 29th, 2015, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

It is very annoying. If you listen it chimes 3 times before it starts to close. I just raise an arm and stop it. It goes back up. It does stop on the least resistance.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 6:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Do you have the sensor in the back for automatic open and closing? I have a similar problem except I feel it happens because I inadvertently activate the sensor.
Old October 29th, 2015, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

I've done the same thing, if your '15 was built after October of '14 and has the phone charging pad in the center armrest, then it also has the foot sensor below the rear bumper. My guess is we are accidentally triggering the foot sensor when we're standing back there loading. I don't see any way to disable it, so I guess we just need to be more careful and keep our feet out from under the hitch area directly.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Happens to me ALOT!

My Wife's '15 Suburban has done the same thing! The issue is the the "Hands Free" Tailgate sensor is either too sensitive or they neglected to put an "I'M WORKING HERE!!!" Sensor that tells the "Hands Free" to stop working while someone is loading the cargo area.

Granted this is a very nice feature to have (especially when we travelike a big top circus everywhere we go). The good thing is it gives you the audible (dinging) and visual (lights flash) when it is going to happen ( or I would be a lot shorter!!!).

Don't think there could be a fix (possible sensor) or if the "Hands Free" sensor can even be turned off if you wanted to prevent it from ever happening.

I also have issues, if you can believe it, when I try to actually use the "Hands Free" and the "D" thing will not work when i do want it too!

Maybe just a little ahead of it's time!!!

Thanks for sharing and letting me know I am not CRAZY (did not say "Going Crazy" because I would have had to have been sane at some point to go there!)!
Old October 14th, 2019, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mulmur1
Welcome to the forum. It is unfortunate you are having problems with your 2015 Tahoe.

When the lift gate is opened and closed using the power operation, do you hear any noise. Have you tried opening and closing the rear hatch manually? When you close it, do you feel any binding? You may feel the binding from a full open position.

There is a technical service bulletin #PIT5407 listed that notes the problem that you are describing. Please contact your dealer's service department and suggest that they review this bulletin.

Good luck with your new Tahoe. Hopefully, this issue can be resolved soon.
I bought a used 2015 Chevy Equinox in July 2019. Right after I got it the lift-gate closed on me without the sensor stopping it. I thought I had caused it. When I tried it again, I barely escaped! I was sore and bruised but felt lucky to be alive! It was really frightening. I have tried turning control to manual but can’t raise the gate on my own strength. Help! I’m moving, on extremely limited income. Is there any way to reset this? I appreciate any help you can give!
Old October 14th, 2019, 9:19 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If you can't raise it manually, then that would indicate that the gas struts are probably shot.
Old October 15th, 2019, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by 73shark
welcome to the forum.

If you can't raise it manually, then that would indicate that the gas struts are probably shot.
thank you!

Quick Reply: Rear lift gate closing on me while loading!!!!