Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Power Liftgate won't automatically

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2020, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKirk
We figured out our problem yesterday. You have to drop the headliner at the gate. You'll see the wire rubbing the metal where it bends to drop down. Once this area was repaired, the liftgate worked fine.
mine will open with any of the buttons but not close, care to elaborate on this bud
Old August 30th, 2020, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKirk
We figured out our problem yesterday. You have to drop the headliner at the gate. You'll see the wire rubbing the metal where it bends to drop down. Once this area was repaired, the liftgate worked fine.
Finally got it done today. Wasn't the latch after all. Checked the harness in the headliner and all was good there. I took the lift gate rod that connects the motor to the gate off and found out that all 3 bolts had worked themselves out of holding the lift motor assembly to the truck. Being loose and not being attached properly had severed the "Liftgate Ajar Indicator Switch" wire. Soldered that back together, remounted liftgate motor assembly and all good.

Last edited by Wake14; August 30th, 2020 at 6:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
repairman54 (August 31st, 2020)
Old August 31st, 2020, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Honuala13
mine will open with any of the buttons but not close, care to elaborate on this bud
Welcome to the forum.
Old August 31st, 2020, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Wake14: Thanks for reporting back on your fix. Will probably help someone in the future.
Old January 11th, 2022, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 tahoe ltz no power lift or close

Just tonight my auto lift gate stopped working. I had the gate up for a while then I pressed the button to put it down and did nothing. I manually put it down and pressed fob to rais it and nothing except flashing lights, tried handle and makes noise but doesn't lift automatically, can lift manually. Tried button inside on head liner and don't work either. Motor still makes noise and latches unlock but power lift does not engage and get "close rear gate" on my my dash. Can not find Info or video anywhere of the exact problem.
Old January 12th, 2022, 6:57 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Need a scan of all the codes families, not a low-end scan tool that just reads the P codes but one that reads the U, C and B codes. There are sensors in the lift gate, so you need to see if any codes are being set.
Old May 30th, 2022, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2018 suburban stuck open on Memorial Day; can’t close.

Well, had it for a year and about time I join a forum for support and knowledge.

Memorial Day party requesting my attendance and the lift gate is stuck open. When I try to physically close the left “compression arm” seems to be holding it in place.
onStar trouble shooting little help.

Praying for easy reset type solutions.
Thanks folks for any advisement prior to the wife murdering me. be well
Old May 30th, 2022, 7:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Not sure on a '18 but my '11 there is a lift arm that connects to a motor and 2 struts that hold the gate up. On my '20 Traverse and my '16 Equinox it's a hydraulic opener run by the left ''strut''. I would try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if it resets the module that runs the opener. Dealer will scan the system for codes as there are safety's along with sensors that the tail gate control module uses to actuate it.
Old May 31st, 2022, 10:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Just last week I replaced the two liftgate struts on our 2011 Yukon; our issue was that liftgate would open about a foot, then move down and lock. Switching to manual mode, found the support struts would not hold the liftgate up, so ordered a pair of new struts from Amazon for $27 (O'Reilly was like $50 each).

I used an 81" piece of wood to hold the liftgate up, took off the struts one at a time and replaced them, now it works fine. One of the old struts had zero resistance in it, the other felt OK.

So I wonder if one of your struts could be stuck in the extended position???
Old November 1st, 2022, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power liftgate

Originally Posted by Gbro217
Just tonight my auto lift gate stopped working. I had the gate up for a while then I pressed the button to put it down and did nothing. I manually put it down and pressed fob to rais it and nothing except flashing lights, tried handle and makes noise but doesn't lift automatically, can lift manually. Tried button inside on head liner and don't work either. Motor still makes noise and latches unlock but power lift does not engage and get "close rear gate" on my my dash. Can not find Info or video anywhere of the exact problem.
has anyone resolve their problem or have had and issue liked this and fixed it ?

Quick Reply: Rear Power Liftgate won't automatically