Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Shock Actuator

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2013, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Shock Actuator

I was wondering if someone can help me out? I know very little about vehicles. My 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ was at the dealer because the auto ride compressor was faulty and replaced. They also told me that code C0585 was found and the shock actuator needs replacement. Of course, this is not covered under my warranty. They informed me that the shock is fine and does not need to be replaced, but the service suspension light continues to come on and should be fixed. My question is, could this have been caused be the compressor being faulty? Also, is it something that is not fixed can it cause more problems? They are looking for $690 for the part without the labor. Thank you in advance.
Old August 17th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

to my understanding the shock has two functions; one is air leveling and the second is damping control. although the shock absorber is used for both systems, they are kind of 2 different systems. The air leveling is just a air bladder that is pumped up or evacuated to govern the vehicle ride height. the damping control section can change the stiffness of the shock jounce and rebound.

the compressor that was replaced fills the air bladder of the shock. the code is for the damping control and is an electronic fault in the wiring or shock or computer module. the suspension control module is seeing a short to grd and is shutting down damping operation of the shock.

I think what they are saying is the part of the shock that controls the leveling system is ok but the electronic part of the shock is bad and setting the code. this will NOT cause a compressor to fail.

Last edited by tech2; August 18th, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it yourself. Very easy to replace the rear shocks in these. I did for my burb, I bought the Arnott Bilstien Air Shock. I think $360. They are internally actuated and work better than the Auto Ride in my opinion. Very well built, actually, I believe they are built a decent amount better than factory shocks.
Old August 18th, 2013, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the information tech2 and Joe in NY. I was trying to get the dealer to pick up the cost on repairing the problem. My warranty does not cover shocks. In your opinion, could the faulty level ride compressor cause the issue I have with my shock actuator? I'm not to handy with vehicles so me replacing the shock is not a great idea. I am in discussion with my dealer to fix the problem through my extended warranty. With NO success to date. The vehicle has 46,000 miles on it. My best case scenario would be that this was caused by the faulty level ride compressor and I can make the argument that the shock was damaged do to that and not wear and tear. Can that be possible?

Also, if this can possibly be the electrical part of the shock. Would that be considered wear and tear? Thank you
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tech2
this will cause a compressor to fail.
whoops...error. This will NOT cause a compressor to fail.

base warranty is 3 years 36 000 miles. Its not powertrain. you well out of factory warranty by time and mileage. no dealer will cover this.

Last edited by tech2; August 18th, 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only 3 year 36k mi?? whoa! wow, they sure dont expect these things to last at all... man, Kia comes with 10 year 100k mi warranty...

No, a bade compressor will not cause this, worn out air bags however will cause the air compressor to fail due to excessive running.

Do you have a handy neighbor, or a good local guy you can to?
Old August 18th, 2013, 1:39 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 08CHEVYLTZ
Thanks for the information tech2 and Joe in NY. I was trying to get the dealer to pick up the cost on repairing the problem. My warranty does not cover shocks. In your opinion, could the faulty level ride compressor cause the issue I have with my shock actuator? I'm not to handy with vehicles so me replacing the shock is not a great idea. I am in discussion with my dealer to fix the problem through my extended warranty. With NO success to date. The vehicle has 46,000 miles on it. My best case scenario would be that this was caused by the faulty level ride compressor and I can make the argument that the shock was damaged do to that and not wear and tear. Can that be possible?

Also, if this can possibly be the electrical part of the shock. Would that be considered wear and tear? Thank you
Does your extended warranty specifically include or exclude replacement of shocks?
Old August 18th, 2013, 3:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
only 3 year 36k mi?? whoa! wow, they sure dont expect these things to last at all... man, Kia comes with 10 year 100k mi warranty...
kia in Canada warranty is 5year 60 000miles but comes with a asterisk as some things are not covered.
gm has a longer powertrain warranty.
Old August 19th, 2013, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

The factory warranty was 3 years/36K. I have an extended warranty for 6 years/75K. The warranty does specify struts/shock absorbers are not covered. But the explanation the dealership gave me was that the shock is in good condition and does not need to be replaced. I am a bit confused. If there is nothing wrong with the shock, with the exception of the C0585 code it is giving for a failed left rear shock actuator. It seems like a faulty part. Not something that I may have caused through driving. Am I way off in my assumption? Thanks!!
Old August 19th, 2013, 9:54 AM
CF Junior Member

I did what Joe did, converted to Arnott's. The thing rides better than new.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Actuator