Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Reliable reman steering gear?

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2018, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable reman steering gear?

Good Morning all,

I need to replace the steering gear in my 2004 z71 suburban. Is there a brand that is more reliable than the others? I've dealt with junk reman before and it worries me. I do see that I can get one from redhead steering gears but the cost is also the highest.

Thanks,

Evan
Old June 21st, 2018, 1:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was ready to get rid of my 2001 Suburban because of noise and vibrations the front end made when turning. I read where people were spending hundreds to get the upper steering shaft, only to have the problem reoccur. I fixed the problem 5 years ago with a can of either silicon spray or WD 40, I can't remember which. The problem has not returned. Simply look under your dash, you will see where the steering wheel yoke attaches to the upper steering shaft yoke. As clean as it was under there the yoked connection had so much dust on it that it looked like a chia pet. I wiped the dust off and sprayed the connection. Also, where the shaft goes through the firewall I saw some rust so I sprayed that as well. The noise and vibration disappeared immediately. Problem is, because I sprayed both locations I'm not sure which one did the trick. Maybe both needed it. Regardless, just spray the yoke only and take it for a ride. If that doesn't work, spray that second location. Let me know how it goes.
Old June 21st, 2018, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually referring to the steering box, I ordered one from advance. Hopefully it isn't terrible.

That said, your info is helpful. I am going to tackle that situation as well. I just got this truck and it needs some TLC. Thanks!!
Old June 21st, 2018, 9:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

your guess is as good as mine....Its hard to know unless you have dealt with multiple brands. Parts In general; the oem part is the best. Unless the oem part cost is outrageous. They install goes easier as they fit better. I've installed dorman oil cooler lines and will never buy them again.