Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Remote Starter Range (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/remote-starter-range-3358/)

jlenkows October 27th, 2006 4:05 PM

Remote Starter Range

I know that there was a post previously relating to the remote starter in the 07 Tahoe, BUT... I wanted to start a new one based solely on the question at hand without the potential for hijacking.

So... here it goes.

In the 07 Tahoe, is there any possible way to extend the range of the FACTORY remote start system?? There has to be some sort of an antenna (likely just a wire coming out of a box somewhere) to give the system the advertised 200' range.

My last vehicle had an aftermarket system with a 2000' range which was achieved by the placement of a 6" antenna mounted on the windshield behind the rearview mirror.

I am trying to find a place that I can connect (via solder, tape, spit, glue, etc...) this antenna to at least double the range provided by the factory.

If anyone knows of any information about how to do this with the FACTORY unit, please do let me know.

Many thanks!!

Jeff.

ZX1100F1 October 27th, 2006 5:47 PM

RE: Remote Starter Range

The remote start module and antenna assembly is located in the right rear corner garnish molding just above the rear speaker near the back glass, the stock antenna is about 12 inches long.

jlenkows October 27th, 2006 5:48 PM

Garnish Molding??? What exactly is Garnish Molding??

ZX1100F1 October 27th, 2006 6:10 PM

C-mon now, I gave a great description, if the word "garnish" is confusing then just omit it. [&:]

jlenkows October 27th, 2006 6:18 PM

I figured it out.... What you didn't say is that the airbag system is there also. Good thing I was paying attention!!!

Seriously... thanks for the information.

The antenna is actually just a plain old wire amongst a whole mess of other wires (which are likely causing EMI interference), but I am going to attach an antenna to it anyway. If it works, you know that I'll let you know.

What are the odds that you know the frequeny range that the remote system???

ZX1100F1 October 27th, 2006 6:31 PM

I didn’t tell you about the airbags because you didn’t tell me that you had the head/side curtain airbag option, I'm also not the hall safety monitor.
GM's RKE Systems operate in the 300MHz range

jlenkows October 27th, 2006 6:41 PM

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I didn’t tell you about the airbags because you didn’t tell me that you had the head/side curtain airbag option
OK... so nobody's perfect... I thought you had those super-duper Carnack skills like Johnny Carson did. Sheesh. ;)

Seriously... thanks for the information. I'd have never found that thing way in the back of the truck.

Where might the actual receiver for the security/remote start system be in the truck?? It's best to have the antenna run directly from the receiver (that's my goal at least) to eliminate/reduce signal attenuation, etc....

Am I going to find your signature somewhere inside my Tahoe or something?? You have an awful lot of knowledge about these vehicles than the better-than-avereage bear would have... :D

jlenkows November 2nd, 2006 9:59 AM

So I took the antenna wire out of the massive ganglia of other wires running down the "D" post and poked about 2 inches of it out of the trim at the d/s rear window. You won't see it there if you're not looking for it.

I can honestly say that the range of the remote has nearly doubled!!!!

Before I did this, I tested the range at work in an empty parking lot. Pre-change I was able to go about 450 feet (counted the parking spaces in the empty lot) before the signal stopped reaching the Tahoe. After the change, I tested it again and I am just over 900 feet!!! Yes, 900 Feet!!!!!!

My next attempt is to put an antenna (at a window of course) on the wire as close to the receiver unit as possible to avoid any other EMI/RFI from the other components in the truck. First, I need to find this little device. That'll be a chore.

One note - if you try this, and your Tahoe has Side Curtain Airbags, be careful when removing the trim on the D pillar. The deployment canister is there too!!!!!

biglg November 2nd, 2006 11:18 AM

So you didnt change the antenna or add a longer one. You just relocated it?

I would like the range. However i dont trust myself taking off the the trim. I would be the one to shoot out the bags.

ZX1100F1 November 2nd, 2006 12:02 PM

Can't you read Landon?
He clearly stated that he installed a pair of rabbit-ear 50' citizens band whip antenna's along with a 100db boost amplifier to the RKE receiver and now only parks that Tahoe on the top of the highest hill so he can get an extra 13 inches of range.

biglg November 2nd, 2006 12:39 PM

GEEZ. Seems like a lot of work for 13 inches of range. I guess I might get at least 500Db boost amplifier to the RKE.

I actually have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

jlenkows November 2nd, 2006 12:51 PM

RKE = Remote Keyless Entry

RedBoat November 2nd, 2006 3:46 PM

Now that I have absolutely no frigging idea what yall are saying, please clarify.[:o]
If I pull the antenna wire out of this D-pillar will I get more range, my range absolutely S##ks.
What does this antenna wire actually look like, black? white? coax? square? ya'll got the idea.
I also have the side curtain air bags so before removing the trim is it safer to just disconnect the battery? I have a habit of jerking things around without realizing it

biglg November 2nd, 2006 3:50 PM

LOL, Redboat I want to know the same information. I dont know what they are talking about either.

I thinik Dave had a little sarcasm in his message. I think all jlenkows did was move the antenna out into the open. He said it doubled the range.

I think what dave was saying is that he put a 50' antenna on his tahoe, although it hits every overpass and drive through food joint he still gets 13 inches longer starting range!

biglg November 2nd, 2006 3:51 PM

LOL, Redboat I want to know the same information. I dont know what they are talking about either.

I thinik Dave had a little sarcasm in his message. I think all jlenkows did was move the antenna out into the open. He said it doubled the range.

I think what dave was saying is that he put a 50' antenna on his tahoe, although it hits every overpass and drive through food joint he still gets 13 inches longer starting range!

jasonw75 November 2nd, 2006 4:39 PM

I think big double posts on purpose just to get his name to the top of the post list. JK big

biglg November 2nd, 2006 4:50 PM

HAHAHA, funny. I dont know if it counts two or not when I do that. I could care less abotu the number of posts. I just like to post. I get bored some days at work!

But no one else has the same issue? You click the OK tab when leaving a message and it stalls. So you click out of it and it doesnt show your message is there. So you enter your message again and click OK again. Then it shows the darn thing twice. Must be my DUMB ARSE that only has the problems.

jasonw75 November 2nd, 2006 4:53 PM

I was just giving you schit!!! I know what you mean about bored at work... Today is dragging on forever. I have the problem sometimes too, I think if you are a little more patient and just wait it might not happen so often.

biglg November 2nd, 2006 4:59 PM

I have waited 10 minutes before because I hate to leave the double posts and it does nothing. Next time i will just close the page and go back in or something. Who knows. I think I shall take a nap now.

ZX1100F1 November 2nd, 2006 5:01 PM

ORIGINAL: biglg
I just like to post.

You're kidding?
Remarkable, I would have never guessed.

Hint: This is satire.

biglg November 2nd, 2006 5:06 PM

Dave is just so full of it lately! Go find a fix for the "piece of shiit" hood strut that caused the dents in my hood that are being removed today and quit making fun of me; PLEASE.

jasonw75 November 2nd, 2006 5:08 PM

Your not the least bit of a smart Azz? Don't get me wrong... I like it!!! What else can make me smile at work???

biglg November 2nd, 2006 5:12 PM

Me a smart azz?

I would say I am running close second to Dave!

jasonw75 November 2nd, 2006 5:14 PM

I was actually replying to Dave... See the little "in reply to ZX......"
:D:)[8D]

biglg November 2nd, 2006 5:18 PM

Oh, yeah, I knew you were talking about Dave, :eek:. Of course, he is the bigger smart azz, ME, oh not me, I am always bizzness!

biglg November 2nd, 2006 5:18 PM

HEY GUYS! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

THis was a freaking double post, hahahahahaha.

tahoe07 November 2nd, 2006 9:50 PM

When you post and it stalls and you hit BACK, it must go back to the last page as you saw it the first time. It won't show your post even if it was there. Have you tried to refresh or go back into it the normal way (not hitting back button) and maybe you'll see if it is there.

biglg November 2nd, 2006 9:51 PM

Yep, i got back to tahoe forum then into the post, never shows the darn message. SO I do it over again. Then it is there twice! Just wondered if this happens to anyone else.

tahoe07 November 2nd, 2006 10:00 PM

I'm outta guesses... you are the only one that I have noticed and darn you have a lot of doubles

jlenkows November 2nd, 2006 10:12 PM

Can anyone say HIJACKED????

Let's stay on topic here please....

ANYWAY...

By pulling the wire (looks to be 18 gauge with a clear sheath and black electrical tape covering the tip) out of the mass of other electrical wires, and sticking the end (plus 2" or so) of the wire outside the trim along the bottom of the window, the range is increased.

I'm having shoulder surgery in a few days, so if I don't hunt down the RKE head unit this weekend, it'll end up waiting until spring at the earliest.

And for what it's worth... I've never had a problem with double posting. Be patient and click the mouse only once. All will happen in due time.

biglg November 2nd, 2006 11:12 PM

LMAO, I am patient guys. I have waited 10 minutes b4. It isnt me!

As for the antenna. I cant imagine that makes it double the distance. However, I guess I have to take your word!

ZX1100F1 November 2nd, 2006 11:46 PM

It is you Landon! And quit asking everyone to repeat what they already wrote once.
Maybe it's time for you to upgrade that Commodore 64 huh?

TMW597 November 26th, 2006 1:05 AM

I'm looking for a little clarity on this.

First off is the remote start module and antenna assembly on the driver side or the passenger side of the vehicle? ZX1100F1 says "right rear corner" yet, jlenkows says, "...poked about 2 inches of it out of the trim at the d/s rear window." So again just looking for a definitive on which side this is located. Also what exactly does the part look like, color, shape, size?

I totally understand you on the range though jlenkows. I had a 2003 Ford Expedition with remote start and I was able to get about 3 and a half city blocks out of it. I'd say at least 4 football field lengths.

I also found and ordered this: Crime Guard AUANT Dipole Extended Range Antenna. Crime Guard's AUANT range-extension antenna can be used to increase the remote control range of any car alarm with an external antenna.

Overview: This antenna can be used to help extend the remote control range of any car alarm with an external, single wire antenna. The antenna is constructed with a 2 conductor cable, and the ends of the leads are bare wire. One lead has clear insulation and the other has black insulation; the clear wire connects to your alarm's existing antenna lead, and the black wire should be connected to the ground wire of the alarm. There is double-sided tape at the point where the cable attaches to the dipole antenna elements, so the dipole portion of the antenna can be easily attached to your vehicle.

Found it here at Crutchfield.

I plan on installing it next week once I find out exactly where to track down the antenna wire.

jlenkows November 26th, 2006 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: TMW597

I'm looking for a little clarity on this.

First off is the remote start module and antenna assembly on the driver side or the passenger side of the vehicle? ZX1100F1 says "right rear corner" yet, jlenkows says, "...poked about 2 inches of it out of the trim at the d/s rear window." So again just looking for a definitive on which side this is located. Also what exactly does the part look like, color, shape, size?
Sorry for the confusion.... When looking head-on at the vehicle, the Right side is the driver's side. If you remove the D pillar trim (the rear with the speaker in it) in the only bunch of wires following the pillar from top to bottom, you'll see a copper wire with clear insulation. That is the antenna wire. Just pull the end of the wire out of the bunch and that's it. If you have the side-curtain airbag option, BE CAREFUL!!!! The deployment system is under this trim as well!!

I also found and ordered this: Crime Guard AUANT Dipole Extended Range Antenna. Crime Guard's AUANT range-extension antenna can be used to increase the remote control range of any car alarm with an external antenna.

I plan on installing it next week once I find out exactly where to track down the antenna wire.
Let me know how this thing works - I'm beyond interested in it. In my 04 Avalanche, I had a Viper remote starter installed and was able to hit it from an incredible distance away. Being in NY, when it's snowing or really cold out, you really want to get the truck started BEFORE going outside. Where I work, I usually park in no-man's land (to avoid the dings) and I was able to start the AV from inside the building 5 minutes before walking outside to go home. If I can get that kind of range with the Tahoe, I would be ecstatic.

TMW597 November 26th, 2006 2:08 PM

Thanks jlenkows!

Just to be sure we're talking the pillar that is above the rear driver side door window, or is it the far back pillar above the driver side cargo window? (I'm thinkin' headliner here by the way running horizontally.)

OR

Are we talking the thin, vertical panel that is in between the front and back door on the driver side, or the somewhat thin, vertical panel in between the rear door and the cargo area window on the driver side. I'm only asking this because of the speaker reference. My furtherest rear speak is in the back foo-

I actually stopped in the middle of writing the above, went outside and looked in my truck. Disregard the above questions. I left them in though for others that might not be clear down the road. I now see exactly where this pillar is, as I wasn't even aware that grill in the very back was even a speaker. (Hey, I never sit back there, I'm always driving! Ha, ha.)

So for those in the future that are confused like me this panel that we're talking about, to find your antenna for the RKE, is the vertical panel in the far back corner driver side of the vehicle, in between the back tailgate door, and the cargo area window. See pictures.

Hope that helps on that! (And I hope that I'm accurate.)

As far as the external antenna, I should have that in by week's end. I'll come back and give you a progress report on it. I plan on mounting it on the back cargo area window, driver side.

Cool.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5036/4CA04E3E86024740BD774E17DED7FB9D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5036/A0F0A4890AFE47B0B4704D2C4FCC3C64.jpg[/IMG]

jlenkows November 26th, 2006 2:15 PM

You got it right on the money.

I went to Crutchfield and chatted with their on-line techs. I asked if the antenna can just be grounded to a regular grounding point instead of to the RKE/security device and they told me that it can be, but it's recommended to be grounded at the device itself. If you locate where the RKE/Security system is, please let me know.

ALSO.... different topic...

I noticed in one of your pictures that you have the cargo cover. Did you get that with the truck, from the dealer, or 3rd party??? I've been wondering about it for the past couple of weeks (give or take) as I want to be able to keep things in the back but not in the public's view.

TMW597 November 26th, 2006 2:25 PM

Ha, ha. Good eye there catching the cargo cover. I honestly don't really need it as my windows are pretty much painted black with tint, but it's just a little more neat and tidy, so that's why I use it. As far as obtaining it. The day I took delivery of my vehicle, I walked right into the GMC parts department and asked them to order a cargo shade for the Yukon XL. It came 2 days later. For those that have the Yukon XL's or the Suburban there are two notches on the sides of the cargo area so you can adjust the shade to cover the area if you have the 3rd row seats in or out. Pretty nice. It was like $120 or somethin' like that. I'm sure you can find it cheaper on a GM Parts website. It will probably only be by a few bucks though.

Now back to the RKE unit. Has no one been able to find the actual "box"? I have schematics for the entire RKE. I can email them if you want to take a look. I really want to find that box since I'm going to have my truck all torn apart next week doing audio/video installs.

jlenkows November 26th, 2006 3:44 PM

I'll see what I can find online for the cargo cover. Thanks for the info.

I PM'd you about the schematics.

The only person that could help us here would be ZX... Unless you really feel like tearing the thing apart and tracing the antenna back to the source...

ZX1100F1 November 27th, 2006 3:33 PM

The Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) is located back underneath the rear d-pillar molding, the wire antenna is plugged into the unit, it's data-linked via GMLAN L/S 33.33 Kb/s with the Body Control Module (BCM).

jlenkows November 27th, 2006 3:52 PM

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

The Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) is located back underneath the rear c-pillar molding, the wire antenna is plugged into the unit, it's data-linked via GMLAN L/S 33.33 Kb/s with the Body Control Module (BCM).
Is it floor mounted on mounted to the pillar?? I presume it's on the driver's side as well??? Does the RCDLR get powered at that location or from elsewhere in the vehicle??

Thanks for the info....