Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Removing bugs

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2007 | 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Removing bugs

With all due respect gixxer I wouldn't want to get within ten feet of a new truck paint job with anything even remotely abrasive...not familiar at all with clay bars though.
Old August 1st, 2007 | 2:09 PM
CF Active Member

no that's fair enough...you need to feel these things first before you judge. I shouldn't have used the word abrasive, but what I was meaning to imply was that the soft foam center, wrapped in a soft meshy type material provided the little bit of relief in the material to effectively lift off the bugs. The thing I'm referring to is all soft material made for vehicles. Guess I didn't explain the soft pad part good enough.
Old August 1st, 2007 | 3:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I have one of those sponges, it's not "abrasive", but it like gives the sponge two levels so that it can take the bugs off. Like Gixxer said, it's a soft mesh with big openings around the sponge. Everything is soft
Old August 2nd, 2007 | 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

gotcha....thanks both for clarifying.
Old August 7th, 2007 | 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

While we are talking cleaning, anyone have a good tip for cleaning the aluminum 20" rims on my LTZ?
Old August 8th, 2007 | 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Might want to check out this thread.... https://chevroletforum.com/m_11942/tm.htm

The polished alum wheels are tricky. The coating on them make it impossible to polish ourselves, so pretty much use a wheel cleaner safe for coated wheels, and rub and wash. You can try to get some "Wheel Wax" to allow for the brake dust or dirt to not stick so much.

Just my .02
Old August 8th, 2007 | 10:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Better late than never. I've tried all the regular bug/tar stuff, but really like Poorboy's Bug Squash. It seems to somehow help dissolve the bugs. I spray it on the wife's black tahoe after i've squirted it down (to cool). Then I let it sit for about 30 seconds or so, and then just go over it with the wash mit and soap.[/align][/align]You have to be careful of most bug and tar stuff. It will take your wax right off if it sits too long. Poorboys will if you leave it on for a while, but if dilluted 3:1 and only left 30seconds to a minute, it's fine.[/align]http://www.poorboysworld.com/bug-squash.htm[/align]
Old September 21st, 2009 | 10:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up RE: bug removal

I know that this is an old thread I am resurrecting...but you know us newbies!

I was conducting a search for another item and came across this thread and was surprised that my solution wasn't mentioned. Living on the gulf coast in Texas one must be educated on the best methods of bug removal.

Ready for this?

Wet down the area to be cleaned...doesn't take much
Take one new, unused sheet of regular "original" BOUNCE fabric softener
With the sheet laid out open and flat, rub the surface
A soapy/foamy lather will eminate as you "scrub"
With very little pressure or effort, the bug remains will vanish!

I use a technique by holding my water spray nozzle in the opposite hand while I "scrub", with the gentle spray setting washing the cleaned surface as I go. One sheet usually takes care of the front edge of the hood and the grill. A second sheet takes care of the bumper...depending on severity of the bugs.

Try it...this works and does not harm the clear coat or chrome parts. And it removes even the most troublesome of bugs: the black "love" bugs (marsh flys).

JP
Old September 21st, 2009 | 11:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by golf_ne_1
Try it...this works and does not harm the clear coat or chrome parts. And it removes even the most troublesome of bugs: the black "love" bugs (marsh flys).

JP

Not to mention your truck being super soft with no static cling!

Interesting trick though, I had never heard of that before.
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 10:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by golf_ne_1
I know that this is an old thread I am resurrecting...but you know us newbies!

I was conducting a search for another item and came across this thread and was surprised that my solution wasn't mentioned. Living on the gulf coast in Texas one must be educated on the best methods of bug removal.

Ready for this?

Wet down the area to be cleaned...doesn't take much
Take one new, unused sheet of regular "original" BOUNCE fabric softener
With the sheet laid out open and flat, rub the surface
A soapy/foamy lather will eminate as you "scrub"
With very little pressure or effort, the bug remains will vanish!

I use a technique by holding my water spray nozzle in the opposite hand while I "scrub", with the gentle spray setting washing the cleaned surface as I go. One sheet usually takes care of the front edge of the hood and the grill. A second sheet takes care of the bumper...depending on severity of the bugs.

JP
Yup. Good tip.

Quick Reply: Removing bugs