Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replacement shocks

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2023, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement shocks

I have a 2008 suburban and want to replace the shocks, fronts are struts and rears are the load leveler air shocks.
Has anyone done away with the air and went too a regular shock for the rear? I don’t really need them because I don’t pull anything.
What is the best shocks to go with?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Old February 17th, 2023, 1:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Do you have the electronic shocks? You will see a wiring connection to them if you do on both front and rear. My '11 has the electronic shocks and air levelers in the rear. Not putting in the air shocks in the rear will trigger service suspension messages.
Just put in the rear air shocks to avoid ongoing issues. Yes there are companies that make kits to bypass but do you want to keep messing with it?
My truck was soft in the rear when an airshock blew out. Springs in rear are designed to have air assist even when not loaded or not towing.
Old February 18th, 2023, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

So I decided to keep the air ride, does anyone have any recommendation on shocks to go with? I also need a new compressor.
I seen a couple sets including front struts with coils, rear air shocks and a compressor for around $650, but don't know if there any good.
Thanks for the help
Rob
Old February 18th, 2023, 4:03 PM
CF Pro Member

I used the AC air shocks in the rear and a Dorman compressor.. Factory shocks last 100k miles for me so I went with them again. Dorman compressor was cheaper and looks identical.
I've got electronic shocks so I did not want issues. Been in for 30k miles and doing just fine.
Old February 20th, 2023, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by repairman54
I used the AC air shocks in the rear and a Dorman compressor.. Factory shocks last 100k miles for me so I went with them again. Dorman compressor was cheaper and looks identical.
I've got electronic shocks so I did not want issues. Been in for 30k miles and doing just fine.
Did you replace your front struts? if so what ones did you use?
I found the a/c delco replacements but they don't come with the springs and are very expensive plus you have to buy the spring and have them put on.
All other ones i found with the springs are not for electronic struts only the magnetic ones.
Not sure what to do.
Old February 20th, 2023, 1:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Smallblockchev
Did you replace your front struts? if so what ones did you use?
I found the a/c delco replacements but they don't come with the springs and are very expensive plus you have to buy the spring and have them put on.
All other ones i found with the springs are not for electronic struts only the magnetic ones.
Not sure what to do.
Go on Rock Auto, they have a great listing and also show what fits what by vin or rpo codes. rpo codes are on the sticker in the glove box which is what your truck was built with.
Old February 20th, 2023, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

I looked at Rock Auto all they had was conversion struts, I looked again and there is no place to put your vin # in.
Old February 21st, 2023, 7:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by repairman54
Go on Rock Auto, they have a great listing and also show what fits what by vin or rpo codes. rpo codes are on the sticker in the glove box which is what your truck was built with.
I personally don't like rock auto because every time I've bought a replacement part they have not fit correctly. for example, when I got In a wreck my coolant overflow tank had snapped off of one of the posts and created a huge hole draining all of my coolant. I bought one from rock auto and it only fit on one post. another example. (before the wreck) I got mad and punched my passenger side taillight (don't recommend doing as I shattered a knuckle in the process) and it shattered. went on rock auto to buy a new taillight and it didn't fit and left a huge alignment gap in the rear quarter panel. never buying anything from rock auto again.
Old February 21st, 2023, 8:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree about Rock Auto. I ordered lifts for my rear tailgate on Equinox. They sent me 2 different lifts and shorter than original ones. Everytime I hit my head on tail gate I cuss them out .Such a pain to return so now I buy local.

Old February 22nd, 2023, 7:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

when I replaced the struts on my 04 suburban, I just bought some off of eBay that were highly rated. I replaced the struts on my tailgate and my tailgate glass access door. were exact length matches and work like new. but I would recommend AutoZone for a lot of parts.

Quick Reply: Replacement shocks