Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replacing factory speakers

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing factory speakers

Can someone who has replaced their factory speakersgive me some help. When you replaced the front and rear speakers did you have to buy adapters to make the spaeakers fit, or did you somehow get the aftermarket speakers to fit with some drilling and no adapters? If you used adapters, where did you get them and how much were they?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Replacing factory speakers

I'm actully in the process of doing mine......only did the front drivers side so far cause I wanted to see what was entailed before I did the others. You will need an adapter...I got them free when i bought my speakers from crutchfield. Also got some baffles. I can tell you that the adapter still doesn't work perfectly and you'll have to get creative with where to drill holes. I was able to use the one hole that was there from the factory speakers but after that....I just put a bunch of screws throught the remaining holes. There not going anywhere Good luck
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
CF Junior Member

I probably going to buy my speakers from Crutchfield also. Now that I know the free adapters from Crutchfield suck, this option is looking better, but pretty high for some plastic. Check this out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Fro...spagenameZWD1V
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
davemec

I replaced mine without adaptors. I put a piece of dynamat over the existing opening then cut out a hole for the replacement speaker to fit through. I used the top existing screw hole, then had to create two new ones on the sides.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 7:39 PM
CF Junior Member

How much was the dynamat and how long did it take you to do each speaker? Seems like it would have taken a while.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 7:48 PM
CF Active Member

Yea u need adapters to replace the speakers to get them to fit. The dodge adapters metra makeswork the bestIMO.Once you screw them in i would put dynamat over the spacer. Dynamat costs like $15-$20 for 2 pieces 12x12 that are meant for speakers.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 8:49 AM
davemec

ORIGINAL: sonnys007

How much was the dynamat and how long did it take you to do each speaker? Seems like it would have taken a while.
I got the dynamat speaker kits off eBay for $10 to $15 dollars for a set of two. It really didn't take much time since I only used the speaker piece of dynamat. I didn't actually do the whole door with dynamat which would be the ideal solution. I'd say it probably took me 20 minutes to install the dynamat and put the speaker in for each door.