Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Replacing front driver's Side axle bearing

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing front driver's Side axle bearing

I am about to replace the driver's side front outer axle bearing on a 98 Tahoe 4x4. I noticed that there is no axle tube on that side. Could someone tell me if I have to crack the differential open to get to the outer bearing? I was not sure how the axle stayed in the differential. I have worked on plenty of front differentials on the older Chevys, but have yet to work on this style. The older ones had c-clips or pins. If I do have to go into the differential, would it be better to remove it from the truck before disassembling it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

I read in a Haynes manual that the drivers side front axle comes out of the differential by using a pry bar and a rubber mallet (basically hammer it out). Does that mean there is no retaining mechanism that needs to be removed before pulling the axle? I would really like to know what I am going to get into before I start disassembly. Thanks.
Old January 26th, 2010, 7:20 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a ring on the end of the axle that holds it in.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

I see the ring on the end of the axle shaft in the exploded view. Will that ring clear the axle bearing? Basically, can I replace the axle bearing without pulling the differential?
Old January 29th, 2010, 3:34 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ring clip will clear the bearing, you may want to use a slide hammer to remove te axle. the bearing in the diff housing is held in by a screw in adjuster. Are you sure that bearing is bad?

Last edited by mudmaniac; January 29th, 2010 at 4:21 PM.
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

I started getting a strange vibration in the right front when decelerating. Over time, the vibration started getting worse. So, I jacked up the front and checked the hub. It was in pretty good shape (no play). I then checked where the cv joint attaches to the axle flange. There is some pretty noticeable play with the axle (it moves up and down pretty good). I figured that the bearing should keep the axle shaft pretty tight. The passenger side axle has almost no play. So, I am pretty sure that the bearing is going out. Think my assumption is correct?

As far as the screw in adjuster, I see where the 3/4 ton has one, but did not see one on the 1/2 exploded view. I guess I can pull the cv shaft, then slide hammer the axle out and see what it looks like.
Old January 29th, 2010, 4:25 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know for sure that the passenger side has the adjuster, I'm pretty sure the driver's side has one as well.
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info Mud! I am going to tackle it next weekend (we just got 8 inches of snow and ice here, so not a real good time to work on it). I will post a reply on what I found.