Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replacing front passenger door window

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing front passenger door window

Hi~

My first post here. So don't kill me if it is in the wrong place or not.

I recently slammed the front passenger door on our '87 Suburban and shattered the window.

I got a replacement window, and got the old one out. With some difficulty.

I do not get how to get the new one back in it's slides (scissor tracks to go up and down) without breaking it. I remembered once that someone had taken the bar out that goes to the wing window, but not certain.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips on how to get the window back in and working properly without breaking it? Or should I just take it to someone and have them install it?

I have done quite a bit of my own work for years, but I haven't done this one yet, lol. I have replaced rear windows on other cars we have, but not this type.

If you need pictures to help understand, let me know, I can take them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blurple Suburban
Old August 30th, 2009, 5:30 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Not familiar w/ the '87s but someone here should chime in.
Old August 31st, 2009, 4:50 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I haven't done it but I would suspect that you will need to put the new window in through the window frame sideways getting the entire window into the door body, they turning it and putting back through the window frame like it would if you were rolling it up and then setting it into the lift assembly, removing the weather striping may give added room.

You may also need to have the mechanism in a nearly up position to get the glass in initially and then roll it down and work the new glass into place...
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I haven't done it but I would suspect that you will need to put the new window in through the window frame sideways getting the entire window into the door body, they turning it and putting back through the window frame like it would if you were rolling it up and then setting it into the lift assembly, removing the weather striping may give added room.

You may also need to have the mechanism in a nearly up position to get the glass in initially and then roll it down and work the new glass into place...
Thanks, I hadn't thought about putting the glass in the door completely before starting. I'll have to give that a try.

There are 2 rollers on the scissors that I need to get in the track. They ar ekinda trashed already from it being so old, but I really don't want to replace them as well. (I might as well just get a new door with the glass in it. LOL, it's not like all the doors match anyway).

Thanks,
Blurple
Old September 2nd, 2009, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks in2pro !

Your suggestion worked! Got that puppy in there.

Note to self: DO NOT SLAM THE DOOR with the window half down on an '87 Suburban, lol.

Blurple