Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replacing HeadUnit

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing HeadUnit

I have a 08 Tahoe LT that comes with a 6 CD changed. I'm looking to replace the factory unit with a double-din screen, but my audio guy tells me i'm going to lose functionality of the stereo controls on the steering wheel, plus my rear parking sensors wont work (ie, they wont beep).

Anybody know a specific way around this, or know of any headunits that are made for this? thanks
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default audio

I'm not sure if the backup beeps are played through the sterio; but I know the turn signal ones are...

why GM does this, I have no idea.. saves them $0.03 for a standard under the dash speaker...

causes after market people headache after headache...
Old July 2nd, 2009, 2:20 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This module is the shizzit....it is exactl what you need...will make the install a breeze
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26

Part Number:
OS-4 <!--Pac to Peripheral Part Number Reference-->
<TABLE id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_productDetail_Repeate r2_ctl00_gvRptPacToPeriphRef style="BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" cellSpacing=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH scope=col> </TH></TR><TR><TD>Peripheral Part No: GMAHL1
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!--End Pac to Peripheral Part Number Reference-->Category: Radio Replacement
<!-- Product overview begin-->
Product Overview
OnStar® Radio Replacement Interface for Select 29-bit LAN General Motors Vehicles with or without Bose Sound System

<TABLE width=800><TBODY><TR><TD class=greentext>Product Description</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bluetext>
  • Retains OnStar® system functionality and the Bose factory-installed amplifier (if present) when the factory radio is replaced in a 29-bit GMLAN vehicle. Generates all safety warning chimes and audible turn signal indicators.
<!-- Product description end--><!-- Product Features begin-->
<TABLE width=800><TBODY><TR><TD class=greentext>Product Features
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=whitetext>
  • Retains OnStar® when the factory radio is replaced
  • Retains Bose amplified audio system
  • Provides all navigation radio trigger wires
  • Chime module included
  • Retains all safety warning chimes
  • Antenna adaptor included
  • Retains Bluetooth® in 2009 models (if equipped)

you will also have to buy a separate steering wheel control module, but they vary depending on which headunit you are putting in. buy it from pac also and they are plug and play with the OS4
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Replacing HeadUnit

I am also replacing my oem HU dvd/6disc in my LT3 07 Tahoe with with Pioneer AVIC-Z110bt. I am wanting to retain onstar and back up sensors, but is there any way to disable the door and seatbelt chime, really i could care less about the onstar?

I am also wanting to add a OEM backup camera, does anyone know what is needed to install?

Lastly, the AVIC has voice command, do you think it is possible to splice into the onstar mic overhead instead of installing another mic?
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
CF Active Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Tab/Learn.aspx

They are quite helpful, videos, guides & all.
I helped my friend install her head unit, sub & amp yesterday
& used crutchfield as my directions. It was quite simple, & now
I know what to do when I finish collectiong my sound system,
all I need is my head unit & subs box.
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default why

why does GM make it so complicated? Replacing the head unit on my 95 was easy, in my 04 wrangler, easy... why does GM make it so hard? don't they know that their headunits aren't the world's best?!
Old October 29th, 2009, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply, but i dont think crutchfield would be much help. I know I need OS-4 PN: GMAHL1 and steering wheel control module, but just not sure how to disable the door chime and if I can use the overhead onstar mic. Anyone have any idea?<!--Pac to Peripheral Part Number Reference-->
<TABLE id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_productDetail_Repeate style="BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" cellSpacing=0 border=0 itxtvisited="1" r2_ctl00_gvRptPacToPeriphRef><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TH scope=col itxtvisited="1"></TH></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">
Old October 29th, 2009, 9:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by crippledfish
thanks for the reply, but i dont think crutchfield would be much help. I know I need OS-4 PN: GMAHL1 and steering wheel control module, but just not sure how to disable the door chime and if I can use the overhead onstar mic. Anyone have any idea?<!--Pac to Peripheral Part Number Reference-->
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none" id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_productDetail_Repeate border=0 cellSpacing=0 itxtvisited="1" r2_ctl00_gvRptPacToPeriphRef><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TH scope=col itxtvisited="1"></TH></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">

You'd be surprised about Crutchfield. I've been using them for years and they are very helpfull. When I started planning my install, I called them, told them what I wanted to do and they gave me a list of everything I would need. I wound up getting some things from them but most parts off ebay.

All you need is the PAC-OS4(onstar) and the PAC-SWI(steering wheel controls). The OS-4 allows you to retain ALL Onstar functions including the mic. I wanted to use the Onstar mic for my radio's bluetooth function and was told it could not be done, so I added a seperate mic. You will also retain the backup sensors. Not sure about the door chimes. Maybe you can ask your installer.

Why add an OEM camera? Just get an aftermarket one. If your going with Pioneer check maybe they make one. I got a Kenwood CCD-900 camera. It plugs right into the back of my Kenwood DNX8120 head unit.

Last edited by Rich E; October 29th, 2009 at 9:49 PM.
Old October 29th, 2009, 9:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
why does GM make it so complicated? Replacing the head unit on my 95 was easy, in my 04 wrangler, easy... why does GM make it so hard? don't they know that their headunits aren't the world's best?!
I don't think it's really GM's fault. It's just the options are more advanced now. Even though the head units themselves may not be that advanced when you add Onstar, steering wheel contols, satellite radio, bluetooth, etc..

I've replaced the radio in just about every car I've ever owned and did them myself and had every intention of doing the same with my Tahoe but when I saw the different adapters and all the wires, I said "hell no!!"
Old October 30th, 2009, 6:15 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you cannot disable the door chime without losing either all other audible warnings, or losing the auto dome light feature.

as far as a factory camera goes, check out this thread, you can get a factory looking appearance for a quarter of the cost

Quick Reply: Replacing HeadUnit