Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Reverse lights will not turn off

Old July 7th, 2009, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lights will not turn off

Greetings everyone,

I have a 2007 Tahoe LS and yesterday I noticed that after it was parked for some time, the exterior reverse lights were still on 15 - 20 minutes later.

This is what I've done thus far (one at a time):
I checked all doors, cycled the locks with the key fob, started the truck and moved the shift lever to D and back to P, disconnected + terminal on batt. for 30 sec and reconnected...had to leave batt disconnected overnight.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas? It is still under warranty, but I would love to avoid the hassle of bringing it to the dealership if it is something very simple or something I've overlooked. Thank you.
Old July 7th, 2009, 8:20 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would need to look at the electrical diagrams for the reverse lights and do some testing to find out why they are on. If it is under warranty it would just be easier to let them fix it. It will probably need a part which will cost you nothing if you take it in.
Old July 8th, 2009, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you MDTAHOE for the advice. I actually decided to bring it to the dealership this morning. I will advise what, if anything, they find out in case someone else has this same issue.
Old July 9th, 2009, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

After 2 days at the dealer, they believe they have narrowed the list of culprits down to a fuse/relay box. They have ordered the part and I will advise as soon as I can confirm if that was indeed the problem...
Old July 11th, 2009, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default The mystery's conclusion

Got my Tahoe back yesterday from the dealer...

For those of you interested in what the issue was, the dealer replaced the fuse/relay box under the hood. The tech also indicated that Chevy (per some form of bulletin, possibly a TSB?) recommended replacement of the BCM (body control module) to alleviate the problem, but tech questioned the validity of the manufacturer's recommended course of action based on his troubleshooting of the system. He said that had the BCM alone been replaced, that would not have solved the issue.

Tech could not advise what may have caused failure of the part, just that it appeared to be some sort of internal failure.

Seems to be working like a champ...only cost me three days without vehicle. Go warranty!
Old July 11th, 2009, 4:38 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum. Glad you got it fixed OK and thanks for posting your results.
Old July 12th, 2009, 3:27 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

They did not provide you with a loaner? Any warranty repair that take longer than 1 day should be eligible for a loaner.
Old July 14th, 2009, 2:58 AM
CF Beginner

They did ask if I needed a "rental" car, but I declined. I do have a company vehicle (Impala) that I drive daily so I chose to drive that in the meantime.

I will keep that policy in mind for the future in case I do need a loaner at some point. Thank you for making me aware of it.
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

I would take the loaner even if I did not really need it so I could get every dollar out of that warranty