Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ride Quality with Lowered 07

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2007, 6:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Quality with Lowered 07

I am in the process of trading in my 07 Tahoe. I am getting rid of it mostly because of the mileage and I did not get a great deal when I bought it the first week they were available (long story. I got a major hook up on my trade and new Avalanche).
I put some 24" Enkei F6 Forged wheels with Nitto 305/35/24 tires as soon as I left the dealership. About a month or so later as soon as the McGaughys 2/3 kit was available I ordered it and lowered my Tahoe.
The ride absolutely sucked! The rear of the Tahoe seemed real soft and it would bounce when going down the road. It would kinda jerk you when you hit bumps. It eventually started to make some of the panels in the truck rattle.
I tried everything! I tried not using the shock extenders in the rear, using them and eventually replaced the stock shocks with lowered shocks. It didnt help. I then installed helper air bags that go inside the rear springs and a compressor. This marginally improved the ride. It certainly helped when anyone rode in the back or I towed something.
For years I have had lowered vehicles including a 99 Silverado that was lowered 7.5" / 10.5" on suspension only (it had 20" wheels back when 20's were big!) and I could deal with the ride. The problem is that the Tahoe and my new Avalanche rode so good with the factory suspension. I just put the 24s from my Tahoe on my Avalanche and it rides great! I can feel the bumps a little bit more than the stock wheels but not really that much. The problem is that it just doesnt look right not being lowered.
Has anyone had the same experience with the McGaughys kit? Is anyone using a different kit and is happy with the ride quality? I know its a stretch, but does anyone have a lowered Tahoe or Avalanche that is just 2 / 3 and thinks it rides as good as stock?
2" and 3" is not that much for a SUV. I would think there would be a kit that would work without sacrificing too much ride quality. That was part of the reason I got rid of my Tahoe.
Sorry to be long winded.
I attached a picture of my Tahoe but I'm not sure how it will show up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7183/9E4AAB8FD71946B4A7DE458A40A20A60.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 28th, 2007, 6:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Ride Quality with Lowered 07

NICE RIDE!!
Old February 28th, 2007, 6:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what color is that?
Old February 28th, 2007, 6:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Greystone Metallic
Old February 28th, 2007, 6:56 PM
CF Senior Member

my friend has a 07 avalanche with 24 inch foose df6 with the 2/3 drop on it and i think the ride is great and its the same kit you had (MgGaughy)
i think everybody's opinion is going to be diffrent its understood .i think when you lower anything you are going to sacrifice at least 10% off your ride quallity. i gues i'm just used to it.
Old February 28th, 2007, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

There was some discrepency when I lowered the Tahoe at first that McGaughys might have mixed up the rear springs for my kit but the numbers seemed to match. They swear that it rides no different than stock.
Old February 28th, 2007, 7:02 PM
CF Active Member

I agree with Jaz.
People tend to believe and feel what they want to believe and feel. I just ordered tthe McGaughy's kit based on teh fact that it had such praise on here.
I was torn between the Ground Force kit and McGaughy's. hopefully I made the right choice.
Old February 28th, 2007, 7:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Let me know what you think. There is a substantial difference in my lowered Tahoe versus a stock Tahoe with the same wheels. I could not even ride people in the middle seats much less the rear seats without the tires rubbing bad in the rear fenders. It was just way too soft and way too stiff at the same time. Its almost like they got the spring rate wrong. If I would put an extra 150-200 lbs in the back it seemed to ride pretty good but then it would sag without using the air bags.
Old February 28th, 2007, 7:16 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have the spindle/coil set, or the coil/coil set?

I still have a brand new set of spindle/coil Mcgaughys that I want to sell. New in the box! ANYONE? $425 shipped! Part 30008
Old February 28th, 2007, 7:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Mine is the Spindle/Coil set. Part Number: 30008. Sorry. I'm not trying to hurt the sale of your kit. I'm just not sure why mine rides so bad.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality with Lowered 07