Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ride Quality with Lowered 07

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2007 | 8:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Ride Quality with Lowered 07

here you go i got some pics this is a 2007 avalanche with 24 inch wheels and the 2/3 drop

[IMG]local://upfiles/7131/C21E26E0B505426A9062B24BBBE5C5A3.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 28th, 2007 | 8:20 PM
CF Junior Member

That looks great! I know it will make a huge difference in how it looks, but at this point, I'm so much more concerned about how it will drive.
Old February 28th, 2007 | 8:30 PM
CF Senior Member

being that every vehicle I've ever owned has been lowered i have to say that avalanche is one of the smoothest I've ever been in
Old February 28th, 2007 | 11:17 PM
CF Active Member

Mine is the same kit, I think it rides great. But I would like to add some kind of air bag kit or air shocks for when I tow my boat. Any suggestions???
Old March 1st, 2007 | 12:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Saweet setup on that tahoe. Those rims look great on there. Did they rub bad?[/align][/align]On my wife's hoe, it is pretty bouncy in the rear, but nothing terrible. Kind of like the cadalac smooth floating ride. The interior panels did vibrate a little right after the drop, but they are already quiet. We have the LTZ with the autoride, so maybe that makes a difference. It works great when we have 7 people in there. Keeps the ride just about the same. I haven't towed with it since it was lowered, but I imagine the factory bags will work good for it too. It did prior to lowering and they leveled it right out.[/align][/align]I'm not sure if you can get something similar to factory air bags. I know that there are companies out that make auto level kits for airbags, but they are mucho money.[/align]
Old March 1st, 2007 | 6:49 PM
CF Junior Member

The day after I lowered the Tahoe and had it aligned I went out with a few friends (6 including me) and it rubbed like crazy! It infact bottomed out so bad in the rear that the RR tire hit the fender and slightly buckled the fender. You could only see it from an angle, but it bugged the heck out of me. I did have to trim the rear fender wells near the inside of the wheel to keep the tires from rubbing slightly when taking corners. It was pretty easy. I just saw where the tire was rubbing and I used a razor knife to trim just a bit of the plastic.
The front rubbed when I would turn so I had to "modify" them just a bit. Just before getting rid of the Tahoe I went with 295/35/24 instead of the 305s that I had on there and they seemed to not rub at all.
The rubbing is partially due to the fact that I am so **** about wheels, tires and stances of vehicles. Every car I have ever had has been lowered and usually tweeked to get the "just right" stance. I had the front wheels milled down about 1/2" at the hub so that they would tuck in the front a little better. Ifyou've ever noticed, the Tahoe's front wheels stick out further than the back(its probably gonna bug several of you now who have not noticed!). Since no one makes a staggered 24" set(at least that I have seen) and the wider diameter wheels (9.5") than stock exaggerate it more than stock, I had to alter the wheels.
Once the wheelswere milled down, they seemed to rub just slightly moreduring parking lot manuevers but they looked perfect on the lowered Tahoe. They look great onmy Avalanche butI guess I'm going to have to lower it now.
Iused the Coil Riteair bags for my Tahoe. They use Firestone airbags that simply slide inside therear spring and inflate to expand the rear spring. They install the same way the rear springs install. I alsoinstalled a compressor and guageto keep me from having to stop at the gas station everytime I wanted to tow something. The bags worked really well but I still think that McGaughys sent me the wrong rear springs since my Tahoe rode so bad in the back.
Old March 2nd, 2007 | 4:02 PM
Administrator

Wouldn't taking a 1/2" of mat'l from the wheel hub seriously reduce the strength of the wheel?
Old March 2nd, 2007 | 4:21 PM
CF Junior Member

I would think that in theory that it should reduce the strength of the wheel, but when they do that they actually re-sleeve the lug nut holes in order to make up for the exact amount of material taken from the hub. They press in a new sleeve (and then weld it) that spaces the lug nut hole out towards the face of the wheel (so therefore the lug nuts stick out a little further in the front).
So the material lost on the back side of the hub is added to the front of the hub essentially. I have 24k miles on the wheels and they show no sign of stress. There are not any cracks and the sleeves have not loosened or moved at all. I dont think I would do this to a cheap wheel though. The fact that these wheels are forged (which is why they cost so much) I think makes them a lot stronger.
They didnt just mill down the entire hub. The guy who did it actually showed me how much he could safely remove (based on doing it for several years). I of course wanted about 1/4" more to make them perfect, but he wouldn't do it due to safety.
Old March 2nd, 2007 | 5:21 PM
CF Active Member

I think you just had something wrong. I have the McGhaughys 2/3, spindle/coil and my tahoe doesnt ride bad. It is a little stiffer but that is expected to happen with a lowered vehicle. Almost like you, 90% of my vehicles have been lowered. Im just used to it. I still think the tahoe is the smoothest riding lowered vehicle.
Old March 2nd, 2007 | 7:15 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: P_RsTahoe

I think you just had something wrong. I have the McGhaughys 2/3, spindle/coil and my tahoe doesnt ride bad. It is a little stiffer but that is expected to happen with a lowered vehicle. Almost like you, 90% of my vehicles have been lowered. Im just used to it. I still think the tahoe is the smoothest riding lowered vehicle.
i agrre with you i dont just drop my rides i bagg them dragging rails, but by far i am impresed how the thaoe rode with the drop,adn i havent installed the shock extenders yet.