Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rumble sound under truck

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2015, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumble sound under truck

Hey guys and girls, I'm new to this forum and would love some help if anyone could, please. I have a 2005 Suburban with 142,000 miles and it makes a rumbling sound under the truck. It sounds like when you go over the rumble strips on the side of the highway but not that loud. I can't tell if it is coming from the rear or the front of the vehichle. At first I thought it was in the right rear but now it sounds like it is coming from the front also. I checked the muffle and the connecters and everything seems ok. The shocks are about 6-7 years old and may need to be replaced but I don't think the shocks would make this type of sound. I have had new tires put on the vehichle about 5 months ago and thought it might be that but why would it start making this sound now?
The sound only appears when I go over bumps. It doesn't do it when I am driving on a smooth road. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old January 31st, 2015, 1:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Only with bumps - I would be checking front end linkage, all body bushings. Also give the exhaust and drive line good shake from underneath
Old January 31st, 2015, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Rednucleus. I was thinking that it could be the driveline to the 4x4. I have replaced the inner and outer tie rods but the sound still remains. The exhaust system is solid. Do you think it could be the drive shaft u-joints? I had a p/u a few years ago that had a u-joint problem but this is a different sound and also the p/u made a sound when shifting from neutral to drive. If the problem was from the front would there be sound in the rear of the truck. Thanks again for your help.
Old January 31st, 2015, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

One more thing I forgot to mention, I replaced the wheel bearing as well. When you mentioned front linkage do you mean the pitman arm and or relay rod and all of the steering components?
Old February 1st, 2015, 2:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Generally any components of the steering linkage and shocks/springs - anything supporting the vehicle that moves and/or has bushings. Maybe it would help to have a friend drive and you move around inside the rig to better isolate the area of interest. I would think if driveline or ujoints you would get the noise shifting in and out of forward/rev vs driving down the road