Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 Suburban best trailer harness to get?

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2015, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Suburban best trailer harness to get?

So for what ever reason my suburban did not come with any trailer wiring. It was purchased used so I don't know if that makes any difference. Maybe it did have a factory harness and someone removed it?

Any way the reason I question why I don't have a trailer plug is because my truck has the factory tow button on the shifter just struck me as odd.

So what's the best kit to get that does not require cutting or tapping wires and utilizes my factory tow operation?
Old January 31st, 2015, 2:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

the truck probably has a blunt cut harness for trailer pins located above the spare tire. It will be wrapped in black plastic loom. My 2000 has this and it didn't come with a hitch from factory.
Old February 1st, 2015, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you I never thought to pull the spare down it was zip tied to the frame now I just need the adapter to connect into it it's just a round plug not typical to any normal trailer plug styles. But that makes it much easier I just do not like those t tap harnesses they corrode same with soldiering.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Check etrailer.com I'll bet they have the adapter you need.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...id=20031170951

Last edited by mmb617; February 1st, 2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on what size trailer you're going to tow, you'll probably run into several type Connectors. Chevy has two types.

But, if you're just going to be towing most standard flat/box type trailers, you'll probably run into the 4 Pin most.

That's this type...
4-Flat Connectors

Once you get your connector mounted under your ride (assuming you'll have that done for you) you can get extensions, new vehicle or trailer connectors from just about any Auto Supply. Then just use the standard color code to replace one that's gone bad or is squashed.

I have a standard seven pin on my ride, and have to use an Adaptor to get to the popular 4 Pin. It's sort of a hassle keeping up with the parts every time I tow, I wish it just had a regular 4 pin permanently installed.
Old February 1st, 2015, 3:36 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

You can use butt crimp splices to connect the wires but you must tape the connections up adequately, that means taping up to a couple of inches to each side of the splice for each individual wire, then use wire loom to cover the harness taping up both of those ends as well..