Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rusted brake lines.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt B
I think I'll wind up doing a doorman kit myself. About 3 coats of some high-performance enamel- probably buy me 10 years of braking.
The Dorman kit is stainless steel and should not rust ,therefore it shouldn't require any coating.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 7:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

rubberized rocker guard is the best thing to coat the brake lines with....it resists stone chilps
Old November 22nd, 2017, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

I felt obligated to report about my experience since I received so much help here.I chose to install the Dorman preformed kit.I found it on Amazon for about $85.00.With the help of my good neighbor it took us about 8 hours and didn't present any major obstacles.Since we couldn't view some of the lines,riding on top of the frame rails, we had to do it by feel in order to release the lines from the clips.It was a little slow going but we finished it and they're working perfectly.

Thank you forum members.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 7:06 PM
Super Moderator

you saved some money then. a shop would charge approx 7.5 hours labour to replace all 7 lines.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 8:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
you saved some money then. a shop would charge approx 7.5 hours labour to replace all 7 lines.
Thats about $700 dollars worth of labor, according to my math, around here anyhow.
Old April 15th, 2018, 6:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey Raymond 1960, glad to hear you didn't run into any major obstacles as I'm about to do this job myself. I had a line burst on my '03 Yukon Denali and when I put it up on the lift it was obvious that all the brake lines should be replaced. I went with the NiCopp kit from Rock Auto after looking at all the options. Hopefully I made the right choice.

My timing must have been good as I paid $104.79 when I ordered a couple days ago but I see the same kit at RA is now listed for $140.79.

The scary thing is my fuel lines don't look much better than the brake lines so they will probably get done next.

I'll let you know how it went in a week or two. I'm sure it will help a lot that I have a lift in my garage.
Old April 15th, 2018, 9:59 PM
Super Moderator

a bender like this is great for on car bending.
https://www.eastwood.com/ew-brake-forming-tool.html
Old April 16th, 2018, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mmb617
Hey Raymond 1960, glad to hear you didn't run into any major obstacles as I'm about to do this job myself. I had a line burst on my '03 Yukon Denali and when I put it up on the lift it was obvious that all the brake lines should be replaced. I went with the NiCopp kit from Rock Auto after looking at all the options. Hopefully I made the right choice.
My timing must have been good as I paid $104.79 when I ordered a couple days ago but I see the same kit at RA is now listed for $140.79.
The scary thing is my fuel lines don't look much better than the brake lines so they will probably get done next.
I'll let you know how it went in a week or two. I'm sure it will help a lot that I have a lift in my garage.
Having a lift will be a great help in replacing the brake lines.

Good luck.
Old April 21st, 2018, 6:55 AM
CF Junior Member

I got the job done and the NiCopp lines were nice to work with. Easy to bend by hand without kinking even when the bends were pretty tight.

I'm glad I didn't go with the prebent lines as I can't imagine how you could snake them into place without raising the body off the frame a couple inches.

Search this Thread