Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Seeking advice on some issues

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2013, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice on some issues

Hey guys, I have a 2000 Suburban K2500 with the 6.0L V8. First things first: my frame rotted out right where the rear right shock upper mount is on the rear frame crossmember. It rotted at the weld where it joins the right frame rail, and about five inches to the left of that. I removed the shock and the whole rotten piece. I'm thinking about cutting the rest of the tubular crossmember out of the frame rail on the right, cleaning up the remaining section of crossmember to the left, and welding in a new piece of pipe and welding the shock mount to that. My question is this: has this happened to anyone else on this year vehicle? It isn't old enough to have the frame completely rot out, in one centralized location, is it? It's always stored in a garage, and the rest of the frame seems solid. The only thing I noticed is the exhaust passes over it in that area, and there is a heat shield, but maybe the excess heat helped accelerate the oxidation process?

Name:  photo3_zps3d857a78.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  63.0 KB
Name:  photo2_zpsa4e0e07b.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  104.5 KB

Okay, second: I'm assuming this is an alternator issue, and I'm curious if anyone has upgraded their alternator? When I press the window up buttons, even while doing 70 on the highway, the lights dim considerably. Is the alternator not putting out enough current? Are the stock alternators possibly not heavy duty enough for these trucks?

Possibly related, the front two windows go up REALLY slow, and have since I got the truck. The rear windows are fine. I'm not sure if this is related or not. Maybe the window motors are bad, drawing too much current, and causing the alternator to not be able to keep up with the current demands? Ideas?

Third: I've been contemplating putting in dual rear window wipers. (I have barn doors.) I don't know why they didn't do this... it's been done on vehicles like the Mini, etc. Something tells me the wiring is probably already there for a rear window wiper, since the trucks with tailgates have wipers. Has anyone done or heard about this? Any suggestions? What about including a window washer nozzle back there as well?

Fourth: I have the LT trim package. I have heated seats, and leather captain's chairs. The seat heaters take a long time to heat up the seat noticeably. My drive to work is about 35 minutes, and I get half way there before I can feel the heat. This is with the heaters set to high (two settings available: high and low). Does anyone know if this is normal? What can be done to upgrade these?

Thank you for any help.
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On your first problem with the cross member. I work for an ambulance company, and even though I haven't had them rust out, I have found them cracked. We've replaced them. You can get that cross member from a dealer. Cut a "X" in the rivet head, chisel the head off, then punch out the rivet. Slip the new one in place ( might need a hammer to get it straight). Use grade 8 bolts, washers, lock washers, & nuts to hold in place.

2nd-- check your window motors & regulators. Seems if it was a problem with your charging system it would be on all the windows.

3rd-- not a clue

4th-- Probably the heating element is on its way out.

Last edited by tymr287; April 7th, 2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Add
Old April 8th, 2013, 8:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 replace that crossmember as tymr suggests, pretty gnarly there, not sure what area your from, but even up NE I wouldn't consider that exactly normal...

2 I'm betting you've got a switch or something acting up possibly a wiring issue, since it's both front windows I'd look at the switch first.

3 I'm not sure that would be worth the effort. By the time you get motors mounted up and all it's going to be far more hassle than it's worth.

4 I ain't never had nothing with heated seats so I don't have much for input on that...
Old April 8th, 2013, 4:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, these trucks are prone to rust, especially in areas where there is a lot of road salt applied. Your solution will work. The solution that tymr287 suggested seems like a good one for the frame.

2) I would point to the window regulator too. I have had both fronts go at the same time. The start to creep up on you. The windows will start to not go up or down and you will get them up and then they will stop. You should check the switch to make sure that it isn't the switch, but I expect that if they are original, this will be your problem.

Dorman Products make some good aftermarket units. They worked better for me than the originals.

3) I expect that you are right that the wiring is in place. It would be a big job to fabricate what you are suggesting, but it could be done. If you are going to go to the trouble of doing it, a washer fluid jug could be mounted within the rear interior body panels. I have never been a big fan of using the washer, but it has its place.

4) The heating elements go, after a while. Since you are not getting enough heat, normally the switch allows for more than two positions. The new trucks are three heat positions, with some having cooling too. It may be best to replace the heating element. You may want to contact the seat shop

They have elements and videos on their site on how to rear the seats.

Good luck with your repairs / projects.