Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Serious Vehicle Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2007, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Vehicle Problem

Im new here and have been looking for a forum like this for a long time and glad ive found one. I have a 97 4wd 4door tahoe and have been cursed for about a year now, it started when i would be going interstate speeds mainly up hills and the vehicle would shake violently when it would shift up and you could smell a burning metal smell, i took it to get a diagnostics test and was told a missfire, it started doing it more and more often until the past couple months it is every time i travel at those speeds, i took it to AAMCO Transmissions and was told it was my brakes engaging causing that smell and the shake, i "repaired" it for $300, did not fix, my shop back home did a complete tune-up and i "repaired" it for $400, chevrolet told me a new transmission, got that replaced for $2800, still doing it, and i got it back yesterday, I WOULD PAY somebody to give me a clue as to what the problem might be or if you have ever had a similar problem, it starts to shake in the undercarriage and you can smell a burning metal or wire smell,i have to slow down to about 50 to get it to stop, thanx for any help sorry it is so long
Old October 2nd, 2007, 9:25 PM
SNO
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Serious Vehicle Problem

Has the driveshaft (straightness) and U-joints been checked?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds liek a bent d/shaft kinda to me... a u joint would have failed by now if it wsa seized I wuold think, but if your d/shaft is bent it would put strain on the u joints making them heat up and burn the grease inside as well as the needles.....
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing that you need to do is isolate what area the shake is coming from.

Disconnect the front propeller shaft and see if the vibration still occurs.

I also would remove the inspection cover from the rear differential and see if everything looks right inside and there is no debris, I have seen bad rear ends do this and overheat causing a burning odor from overheated fluid.

There is also a chance that the torque converter is damaged, many times when a transmission is replaced the torque converter is not.