Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Water in motor

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2018, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Water in motor

Hello everyone,

Well my dad has a 97-99 suburban I forgot what year. But here in houston we were hit with that hurricane havery and the suburban was my older brothers and my dad wanted it so he gave it to him and it got water in it. But not to destroy it the water just got up to the door speakers. But a few days ago I cleaned and removed the white mold on the seats and dash and a mildew spot on the carpet I used vinegar and cleaned everything. But it was only in the from and back seat that needed it. And the 3rd row snd cargo area were dry and clean but still cleaned them. But my dad just has it seating there and in a few weeks ill be going to my dads so we can check everything. But it hasn't been start since then and well the battery is died. So even though its been seating for a yr and 4 months is it possibly to get it going it again. Here are is the pic of the suburban and the dipstick.
thank y'all for any advice and tips y'all give me.

Heres the suburban

I knw its not the bestpic of the world but this is from the dipstick
Old December 2nd, 2018, 2:23 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by CBassHD
Hello everyone,

Well my dad has a 97-99 suburban I forgot what year. But here in houston we were hit with that hurricane havery and the suburban was my older brothers and my dad wanted it so he gave it to him and it got water in it. But not to destroy it the water just got up to the door speakers. But a few days ago I cleaned and removed the white mold on the seats and dash and a mildew spot on the carpet I used vinegar and cleaned everything. But it was only in the from and back seat that needed it. And the 3rd row snd cargo area were dry and clean but still cleaned them. But my dad just has it seating there and in a few weeks ill be going to my dads so we can check everything. But it hasn't been start since then and well the battery is died. So even though its been seating for a yr and 4 months is it possibly to get it going it again. Here are is the pic of the suburban and the dipstick.
thank y'all for any advice and tips y'all give me.

Heres the suburban

I knw its not the bestpic of the world but this is from the dipstick
Well I dont see any dipstick, but if the motor oil isnt anything like it was new, or light-med brown, or is milky with water, its gotta go along with the oil filter.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 7:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The oil on the dipstick looks like, well, oil.

For a vehicle that's sat for 16 months, I'd be most concerned about the gas in the tank. It's probably stale, and depending on the fuel level, it might also have some water in it. Ideally, you'd drain the tank and refill with fresh gas. If the tank is mostly empty, you might just want to pour in some fresh gas and hope for the best.

Check and replace the air filter - probably has a lot of crap/mold in it, too.

Regarding the engine and oil: Regardless of the oil on the dipstick, I'd change the oil. It's cheap insurance.
Depending on my level of OCD that day, I'd probably do two other things:

1) I'd pull the plugs and squirt some oil in each of the combustion chambers, to pre-lube the rings.
2) I'd probably pull the fuel injector fuse and crank the engine for several 15-second increments to try to prime the oil pump

If this was my baby, that I wanted to last a long, long, time, I'd do both. Inspecting each of the plugs probably isn't a bad idea anyways.
If I was less concerned, it was more of an older/beater truck, .I'd just do #2.

Check all of your rubber parts - belts, hoses, etc. Make sure nothing is brittle and/or cracked.

Check the transmission fluid. Heck, check all fluids - brakes, t-case, power steering, etc.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guy's
I know what to look and do when I go back to my dads
Old December 2nd, 2018, 9:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Look just below the cabinet, you see three holes, that's the dipstick
Old December 2nd, 2018, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

CBassHD: Welcome to the forum. Good luck.