Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Service Stability System Warning - Help!

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Stability System Warning - Help!

Last weekend I changed the front brakes on my 2005 Z71 Tahoe. Yesterday my wife gets in the car and when she turns on the ignition the Traction Control warning light, the ABS light, and the Stability Control light are all on and the DIC says Service Stability System. I told her not to drive it until I could look at it when I get home. So when I get home after work I turn the ignition on and only the Traction Control light comes on, the DIC says Service Stability System, but then both indicators went off and haven't come back on. We drove it for about 30 mins. to dinner and no more warning lights.

Has anyone else had this happen? If you brought your ride in for service for this reason, I'd love to hear what the diagnosis was.

Last edited by wrxnut25; September 1st, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old September 1st, 2012, 2:07 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I suspect when you pushed the caliper pistons back to get the new pads in, that did something to disrupt the ABS.
Old September 1st, 2012, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

I guess that's a possibility, I don't know how the ABS sensor or the traction control system works. I'm hoping it was just an anomaly.

Has this happened to you?
Old September 1st, 2012, 4:31 PM
Administrator

No. It might be explained in the owner's manual.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 6:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Default 2007 Tahoe LBZ

Ours does that on occasion.
Recently took it in for many other reasons, and was told it could have been a pot hole or wheel spin in some gravel, like nothing to worry about.
Lee
Old September 3rd, 2012, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you change the front brakes?!?! One thing I was amazed to find out is that on these tahoes and related, the load is on the rear brakes?!!!???? Yes i know unusual indeed. But if you have not checked them you should. I have an 03 and an 04 and BOTH have back brakes about done at 80-90K and no issues with fronts... If your fronts were worn and you have not looked at the rear, you better give a peak - if there is anything left.. LOL...

And FYI, I have found many dealers to have breake specials that will get you one end for as low as 99 bucks, and then another 75 to turn if necc.. Even with good oriinal equip ceramic pads FYI. I consider that worth the jack. Of course you will come out of there with a failer O2 sensor or something. Just aint no walking away clean it would seem...

Last edited by bbc3; September 3rd, 2012 at 9:27 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:53 PM
Administrator

He probably replaced the front brakes because the pads were worn out.
Old September 5th, 2012, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

I changed the rears about 4 months ago right after I bought the truck, they were squeaking pretty bad. The fronts were giving the tell tale squeak as well, starting a couple weeks ago, that's why I changed them.

By the way, good luck getting a certified GM dealership to change pads for $99. My wife's grandmother works for a Chevrolet dealer and got me the front pads for dealer cost plus 20% which is what employees pay, and they were $115 just for the pads. The pads alone would have cost $200 if she didn't hook me up. That being said, I don't know how you would get front brakes changed at a dealership for anything less than $300 once you factor in their labor.
Old July 27th, 2021, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

I don't think the problem was caused when the brakes were replaced. If that was the case, the StabiliTrak would have come on right away. Had the same problem and it was bad abs wheel speed sensor at the rear. If you have this issue there is a good guide on the web called Troubleshooting StabiliTrack problems by youcanic. It goes over the common problems and how to read the traction control faults yourself.
Old July 29th, 2021, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Misfire?

I have a 2007 Suburban LT and recently went through the same with the stability service message…. I found out when the truck misfires it shuts off the stability/ traction control. No engine light and no codes….. it would happen here and there, checked coils and wires and then changed spark plugs……. So far so good

Quick Reply: Service Stability System Warning - Help!