Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Sevice airbag light and DIC message

Old September 12th, 2014, 11:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sevice airbag light and DIC message

Hi all, just found that my airbag light, and the "SERVICE AIRBAG" message in the DIC has lit up in my 2007 Tahoe LTZ 4WD. I did a search but did not find out a real solution. Are there any scanners available to the lay man that will read airbag error codes? I just went to the dealer and they were gonna charge $112 just to read the code. My service advisor buddy about an hour drive away from me will try to get it scanned for me for around 70-80 bux. Advance auto and Auto zone don't have the scanners to check for airbag lights.

What I want to know is if the dealer my only way to get this airbag code scanned? I did a google search and most lead back to faulty sensors under the bumper support (?). I got under the SUV just to do a visual inspect of the sensors, all looked to be fine, no cracks/damage to the sensor or the wiring.

The other threads on here don't really have the clues or answers I'm hoping for. lol. I'm going to check connections under the front seats although I have no clue what to look for.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default air bag light.

Sorry, all of these sensors can really drive you crazy. As far as I know the only way to look at air bag codes is through the dealerships. Although I have heard other makes you can reset or turn the light off but not pull codes. Did you try utube? The front sensors are typically the problem. All of the rain, snow, and road dirt are not good for the sensors. Have you cleaned or maybe bumped the air bag sensors under the passenger seat? Sometime it could be as simple as a pulled wire or plug.
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by stayathomedad
Sorry, all of these sensors can really drive you crazy. As far as I know the only way to look at air bag codes is through the dealerships. Although I have heard other makes you can reset or turn the light off but not pull codes. Did you try utube? The front sensors are typically the problem. All of the rain, snow, and road dirt are not good for the sensors. Have you cleaned or maybe bumped the air bag sensors under the passenger seat? Sometime it could be as simple as a pulled wire or plug.
Thanks for the reply! The front sensors were in pretty good condition, they weren't cover in grime and dirt like I was expecting. I did push on those connectors just in case, but the airbag light came back on even after I removed the neg. batt. cable.

I have not checked under the passenger seat, I am about to go check as soon as I post this reply. Although I have no idea what it looks like under there, is there any you might be able to describe the module I need to look at, hopefully theres only one! lol! But I did find that the company INNOVA makes a OBD 2 scan tool that will read ABS and SRS codes. But its about $200 on Amazon, I may just invest in that tool.

Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Typerod I would check the passenger seat connections make sure the connection is good..
Check to make sure that the air bag light on the center overhead console lights up both the passenger lamps light up On and Off at the same time when you first turn the key to on but no crank... this checks the lamps, if the lamps are out it will set a code... I found this out when I had the console removed and turned the key on while looking for 12v above the headliner for my dash-cam...
Attached Thumbnails Sevice airbag light and DIC message-air-bag-off.jpg  
Old September 12th, 2014, 1:10 PM
Administrator

Here is a long list of possible Air Bag codes, you may or may not have one or all of these but it will at least give you an idea of areas to look at....
Now there is a whole lot more information that goes with these code then I could possibly post or want too but it should at least be some good reading for potentials...

DTC B0056
Conditions for Setting the DTC
This DTC is set when the SDM has commanded an air bag deployment while the PPS has determined that the front passenger seat has one the following conditions:

• The pressure from the occupant's weight is less than a specified value. The PPS module sent a suppress signal to the SDM to suppress the I/P module.

• Empty front passenger seat

• A PPS fault was detected.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The SDM sets a DTC B0056.

• DTC B0052, B0053, or B0055 will set along with this DTC.

• The SDM commands ON the AIR BAG warning lamp via serial data communications.

DTC B0057
This DTC is set when the SDM has commanded an air bag deployment while the PPS has determined that the front passenger seat has one the following conditions:

• The pressure from the occupants weight is less than a specified value. The PPS module sent a suppress signal to the SDM to suppress the side impact module.

• Empty front passenger seat

• A PPS fault was detected

• The SDM sets a DTC B0057.

• DTC B0052, B0053, or B0055 will set along with this DTC.

DTC B0074
• The PPS detects the voltage at the PPS sensor signal is less than 0.05-volt or greater than 4.5 volts for 500 milliseconds.

• The PPS detects the voltage at the PPS sensor 5-volt reference is less than 4.5 volts or greater than 9.1 volts for 500 milliseconds.

• The PPS detects the amperage at the PPS sensor low reference is 25 mA or greater for 500 milliseconds.

• The PPS will set a DTC, and then communicate with the SDM via serial data communications.

• The SDM disables the I/P module deployment loop.

• The PPS will turn ON the passenger air bag status OFF indicator.

DTC B0081
DTC Descriptors
DTC B0081 0F: Passenger Presence System Erratic

DTC B0081 3A: Passenger Presence System Incorrect Component Installed

DTC B0081 4B: Passenger Presence System Calibration Not Learned

DTC B0081 5A: Passenger Presence System Plausibility Failure

DTC B0081 39: Passenger Presence System Internal Electronic Failure

DTC B0081 71: Passenger Presence System Invalid Serial Data Received

Circuit/System Description
When the ignition is turned ON, the passenger presence system (PPS) and the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs tests to diagnose critical malfunctions. When the SDM has completed the power-up mode, the SDM will establish communication with the PPS. The SDM will also request the instrument panel cluster (IPC) to command both of the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators ON for 5 seconds. If the SDM determines the correct PPS is installed and functioning normally, the SDM will turn the passenger side airbag(s) ON or OFF based on messages from the PPS. The SDM will also send a message to the IPC to turn the appropriate PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicator on.

Conditions for Running the DTC
Ignition voltage is between 9-16 volts.

All of the following conditions must exist for 5 seconds:

B0081 0F
• The SDM has received a fault present message from the PPS.

• The PPS is in assembly plant mode and the SDM is in production mode.

B0081 3A
The SDM has received a message from the PPS which indicates a vehicle and PPS mismatch.

B0081 4B
The PPS has failed the rezeroing procedure.

B0081 5A
• The PPS has lost communications with the SDM.

• When the PPS has requested the passenger air bag indicator to change states (from ON to OFF or OFF to ON) and the SDM change states message does not match with the PPS message.

• After the PPS change states, the SDM signal stating the Passenger Status Data Received is not valid within 2.6 seconds.

B0081 39
The SDM has received a critical malfunction message from the PPS.

B0081 71
The SDM has received invalid or no serial data from the PPS.

• The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON, and the passenger air bag indicator to display OFF via serial data communications.

• The I/P module deployment loop will be disabled.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
• The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists and there is no activity on the low speed serial data circuits.

• A history DTC will clear once 100 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.

DTC B1019

DTC Descriptors
DTC B1019 00: System Configuration Error

DTC B1019 3A: Incorrect Component Installed

Circuit/System Description
The passenger air bag ON/OFF indicators are used to notify the driver when the Passenger Presence System (PPS) has enabled or disabled the I/P inflator module. When the ignition is turned ON, the ignition voltage is supplied to the passenger air bag ON/OFF indicators and to the PPS module. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) grounds all indicator control circuits to the passenger air bag ON/OFF indicators for illumination. The IPC receives serial data messages from the supplemental inflatable restraints system to turn ON the indicators as necessary.

After the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) is programmed, the SDM setup procedure is required. During this set up procedure, the SDM will compare the content that was just programmed to the actual components that are installed on the vehicle. If the SDM detects that there are too few or too many components on the system, DTC B1019 00 will set and not allow the setup procedure to complete.

Conditions for Running the DTC
B1019 3A
Ignition voltage is between 9-16 volts.

B1019 00
• Ignition voltage is between 9-16 volts.

• Setup SDM procedure has been initiated.

B1019 00
• The SDM was programmed with the wrong options for the vehicle.

• The wrong components were installed for the content of the vehicle.

• SDM Connector may have bent pins or shorting bars causing the SDM to learn deployment loops that are not actually present.

• There is a wiring, sensor or deployment loop fault which prevents the SDM from learning a device that is present.

• There are too few components installed then configured.

• There are too many components installed then configured

B1019 3A
• The vehicle was configured for PPS but the SDM has received message from the IPC indicating that the Passenger Air bag Status Indicator is not present/connected. Note that a disconnected Air bag Status Indicator is the principle cause of this DTC.

• The vehicle was not configured for PPS but the SDM has received message from the IPC indicating that the Passenger Air bag Status Indicator is connected.

• The SDM does not detect voltage on the Ignition 1 voltage circuit with ignition in RUN.

• The SDM disables all deployments when B1019 00 DTC is set current, not for B1019 3A.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The SDM no longer detects a fault.
Old September 12th, 2014, 1:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
Typerod I would check the passenger seat connections make sure the connection is good..
Check to make sure that the air bag light on the center overhead console lights up both the passenger lamps light up On and Off at the same time when you first turn the key to on but no crank... this checks the lamps, if the lamps are out it will set a code... I found this out when I had the console removed and turned the key on while looking for 12v above the headliner for my dash-cam...
Thanks in2pro! I did check as you suggested and both lamps, "off" and "on" are working. I did check all the connections under both seats. I could not find anything obvious. Although a side note, one thing I did notice that has peaked my curiosity, my lumbar support on the driver's seat has not worked for a few years now. When looking under the driver's seat, I did not see any air lines to inflate the lumbar support, BUT I did see air lines under the passenger's seat. How does the driver's side get its air? Does it come from the passenger's side air line? The lumbar on the passenger's side works just fine. I don't know...it just got me thinking to look into that as well, maybe it will be a simple fix.

I can tell this problem is going to be the death of me! lol! And Thank you again for listing the possible airbag codes, its nice to have all the info in one place. Thanks again! I just may have to buy that obd 2 scanner with ABS/SRS capabilities.

Last edited by Typerod; September 12th, 2014 at 1:53 PM.
Old September 19th, 2014, 7:55 AM
CF Senior Member

UPDATE: So I bought a OBD 2 scanner, INNOVA 3160d. It does scan SRS and ABS. The code was B0083. After all my prior research, the code is for the left front ABS impact sensor, I hope. lol. Ordered part from gmpartsdirect.com, sensor was $106, and shipping was a whopping $25.00!!! I don't know why....but either way $131 and some change was still the cheapest price for this part, and its Genuine GM. I'll update again if the replacement went well and my airbag light went away.

Many many Thanks to In2pro!! All the years I've been on this forum you have always tried to shed light on my situations, and for that I thank you!
Old September 19th, 2014, 9:42 AM
Administrator

You are very welcome friend
Old September 25th, 2014, 2:31 PM
CF Senior Member

FINAL UPDATE: Just got some time today to install the part. The longest hardest part, was trying to find a comfortable position to keep myself in while slowly removing the 10mm bolt. Couldn't use a small ratchet, since there is not enough room. Had to us a small 10mm wrench. All in all it took about 25 mins. I did disconnect the battery, in my case BOTH of my batteries. Once I was done, started it up, and waiting for about 30 secs, and no more air bag message in the DIC, and no more lit up little red airbag man. Drove it for about 10-12 mins just to make sure the light remained off, and it did. I checked the old sensor, and it was not very dirty at all, no signs of damage on the exterior or on the connection.

I'm happy once again, and now my wife and kids are safe once more! I'm such a hero! lol!

Thanks again in2pro for your time and help!
The following users liked this post:
rcorn1031 (March 29th, 2021)
Old September 25th, 2014, 2:43 PM
Administrator

You're welcome I wonder what went bad with the old sensor...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sevice airbag light and DIC message