Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Show your hoe/burb! Post them pics boys!

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2011, 9:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LTL4life
here's my 2500 burb after i installed a Go Rhino Grille guard.

That is SWEET!
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Location: Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busso, that's what I know and you're not gonna find out

^^^
That bar doesn't look like itd do much... looks a bit flimsy to me... but I'm used to the bigger and much stronger bars that seem to be the only bar anyone buys here in Australia.

Even got one on our AUII Falcon Futura wagon.

Name:  fjggjklgas.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  15.8 KB
These are a common sight in the cattle station country further inland Australia, it's on a 2004 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L V8 Diesel. In towns and cities you don't see bars as big, but every 3-5th car you see has a bar, especially 4x4s. Trucks almost ALWAYS have a bar like this
Name:  thunderstruck3.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  209.3 KB
Old July 12th, 2011, 6:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SomebodyOfTheUnknown
^^^
That bar doesn't look like itd do much... looks a bit flimsy to me... but I'm used to the bigger and much stronger bars that seem to be the only bar anyone buys here in Australia.

Even got one on our AUII Falcon Futura wagon.

These are a common sight in the cattle station country further inland Australia, it's on a 2004 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L V8 Diesel. In towns and cities you don't see bars as big, but every 3-5th car you see has a bar, especially 4x4s. Trucks almost ALWAYS have a bar like this

Flimsy? trust me, walk in front of me and get hit and you aint getting up!
Old July 13th, 2011, 4:48 AM
CF Beginner

Location: Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busso, that's what I know and you're not gonna find out

Originally Posted by LTL4life
Flimsy? trust me, walk in front of me and get hit and you aint getting up!

In Australian standards, it definitely looks like it wounldn't offer much protection in an accident. And I'm sure if you hit me (as long as you're going faster than 10 km/h) I wouldn't be getting up, but not many people buy roo/bull bars for protection from pedestrians.

But if you hit a large male kangaroo, or worse, a loose cow or bull, I doubt that bar would do much... it'd actually be likely to bend into the front of the car... but you don't have roos. I do know that bars are less common in the US, but if you came over here with that bar, you'd soon be advised to get a stronger one.

The passengers in your car would be safer because the front is big and most animals wouldn't end up coming up the bonnet into the cabin as with road cars. A bigger bar can often save a car from any damage at all, the animal will just bounce off it. Many bars here are shaped to direct the object underneath the vehicle, so it can't ride up into the cabin.

As I said before, as far as I know, I haven't visited the US so I can only go by what I've read/seen/heard, you have less need for larger bars in most cases.

Awesome truck, I love the Suburbans, wish we got more of them here... the only ones I ever see have been imported by small companies and cost upwards of $110,000 (more in the US as our dollar is worth more atm). Would love to own one one day...

- Chris

Last edited by SomebodyOfTheUnknown; July 13th, 2011 at 4:58 AM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 3:14 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Good god that IS a cattle guard that would be nice to have in bumper to bumper traffic... please cut me off it will the last time you do....
The following users liked this post:
Jeanie Glass (April 4th, 2021)
Old July 13th, 2011, 6:17 PM
CF Active Member

In Australian standards, it definitely looks like it wounldn't offer much protection in an accident. And I'm sure if you hit me (as long as you're going faster than 10 km/h) I wouldn't be getting up, but not many people buy roo/bull bars for protection from pedestrians.

But if you hit a large male kangaroo, or worse, a loose cow or bull, I doubt that bar would do much... it'd actually be likely to bend into the front of the car... but you don't have roos. I do know that bars are less common in the US, but if you came over here with that bar, you'd soon be advised to get a stronger one.

The passengers in your car would be safer because the front is big and most animals wouldn't end up coming up the bonnet into the cabin as with road cars. A bigger bar can often save a car from any damage at all, the animal will just bounce off it. Many bars here are shaped to direct the object underneath the vehicle, so it can't ride up into the cabin.

As I said before, as far as I know, I haven't visited the US so I can only go by what I've read/seen/heard, you have less need for larger bars in most cases.

Awesome truck, I love the Suburbans, wish we got more of them here... the only ones I ever see have been imported by small companies and cost upwards of $110,000 (more in the US as our dollar is worth more atm). Would love to own one one day...

- Chris

Lol, actually i'm kidding with you. However the mfg. Go Rhino makes these grille/push bars for law enforcemnt applications and they actually work pretty good.
Old July 14th, 2011, 4:04 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah I've seen then on American police cars a lot, and I figured they work well enough for what they're needed for there. Some of the bars you see here are amazing... its no wonder they don't lift the back of the vehicle they're on! They look so heavy.

Last edited by SomebodyOfTheUnknown; July 14th, 2011 at 4:10 AM.
Old July 14th, 2011, 8:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I've seen then on American police cars a lot, and I figured they work well enough for what they're needed for there. Some of the bars you see here are amazing... its no wonder they don't lift the back of the vehicle they're on! They look so heavy.
Those push bars arent that useful compared to your roo bars. They are solely meant to push a disabled car off a roadway on a highway or something without damaging the patrol car, since most of them have plastic bumpers these days.

Now there are areas in the US that need what you have there in Australia. People who live in Moose/Deer/Elk/Bear country need bars like those. You will be driving along the road one night and then WHAM! you just hit one. I know, it happened to me like 15 years ago. I used to work at a job with a man who had NO luck. EVERY time he got a new car, WHAM! he would hit an wild animal. I think he hit 4 deers, 2 mooses, and 1 black bear. The cars were always totalled but he never got hurt.
Old July 14th, 2011, 7:34 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
Those push bars arent that useful compared to your roo bars. They are solely meant to push a disabled car off a roadway on a highway or something without damaging the patrol car, since most of them have plastic bumpers these days.

Now there are areas in the US that need what you have there in Australia. People who live in Moose/Deer/Elk/Bear country need bars like those. You will be driving along the road one night and then WHAM! you just hit one. I know, it happened to me like 15 years ago. I used to work at a job with a man who had NO luck. EVERY time he got a new car, WHAM! he would hit an wild animal. I think he hit 4 deers, 2 mooses, and 1 black bear. The cars were always totalled but he never got hurt.

I actually live some where in the U.S. where the Aussie cattle guards would help. Deer hits are common here in N.eastern wisconsin where i'm at. Ive seen cars/ semi- trucks get decent front end damage after a deer hit.
Old July 15th, 2011, 4:08 AM
CF Beginner

I didn't know that many of those push bars were actually plastic now, but then there is a fairly good bar made for Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores called Smart Bars. They're plastic but are very light and very strong. In the event of an impact (a small/medium sized kangaroo) they will often bend, reducing the energy going into the vehicle, and will return to their normal position within hours. An excellent idea, and they work well on cars like that.

This is a smart bar.

They don't look bad either.

One of our two cars has roo/bull bar (built to resist a kangaroo impact, would probably suffer damage from a cow) which was a factory option on the Ford Falcons.

This is our car, a 2001 Ford AUII Falcon Futura station wagon, the AU series had a smiley type look about them, and this bar makes it more obvious, my friends like calling it the "smile mobile"... It's a good strong bar, and had withstood a couple of hefty impacts, with no damage.

I am surprised that there aren't more bars like the ones we have over there, I've always found it strange that even though you do have some big animals to smash into, there aren't nearly as many bars as we have. Roo bars are less common on road cars here, but are on most 4x4s and utes (pickups).

In inland areas with cattle stations and grain growing, only about 1 in ever 4 or 5 cars/4x4s doesn't have something like this, some smaller, some bigger, and every single truck almost in Oz has a bar.

Having a quick reaction time is good as well... one night last year Dad and I were returning home from a sunset 'photo run' (Dad's a professional landscape photographer with a business), we were about 20 mins from home, on a rural road (I live in a small coastal tourist town) and a medium sized kangaroo bounces out of a bush, we were doing 80 km/h, Dad's car isn't the one with the bar, Dad reacted quickly, and within half a second we were doing 40 km/h when we hit the roo. It bounce off the front of the car, got up and hopped away again, not sure if it was injured. No damage to the car luckily... or ourselves. If we'd hit it at 80 we would have got some damage, at least a broken headlight.

I haven't hit had any impact incidents myself ever, because I'm 15 and you have to wait till your 16 here to get Learners. But I have done a fair bit of driving on my uncles wheat and sheep farm over the years since I was 3, visiting every year.

Semi's here almost never sustain any damage from impacts, even from cows... the bars on the front are very big and extremely strong, kangaroos would barely be noticed.

Young guys in rural areas oftion do this to V8 Holden and Ford utes... kinda tryin to make them look like trucks I guess, with all the side lights. Usually have lots of stickers on them.

These utes wouldn't be used for work, just show and play, like dirt burnouts.

In towns and cities most cars do not have bars though, and most road cars don't, 4x4s usually do.
These being some of the most common.

Bull bars are almost part of the Australian culture...lol

Last edited by SomebodyOfTheUnknown; July 15th, 2011 at 4:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Show your hoe/burb! Post them pics boys!