Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Slight wheel jerk to right when brakes applied

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2011, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight wheel jerk to right when brakes applied

My sweet 02 Z71 4x4 Tahoe with 140k is going through some front end issues. Of course it happens while I am about the middle of a cross country two month, 20,000 mile tour. Just before I left I had new tires installed, and an alignment. Along the way I have probably run 100+ miles of real rough washboard road (the 6" high 6" apart kind) after that I started getting a clunk and jerk when turning sharp, especially in reverse. Took it into a shop and found the bolts in the upper A were loose, they tightened and aligned it, was better, but the clunk is still there. Took it off road again (mild this time, but still rough), and now when I hit the brakes, the wheel (steering) will jerk to the right. Not hard or continuous pull, but certainly noticeable. ie; to show my girlfriend, traveling the highway, I let go of the wheel and touched the brakes, the steering wheel moved about 2".. I am guessing a idler arm, pitman arm. Anyone with input? Been there?
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your sure it's not brake pull?

like one of the brake lines has collapsed or a caliper sticking?

Thats the first direction I would go if it's only doing it with the brakes.

:chug:
Old July 16th, 2011, 2:32 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
I too would first suspect brake pad dragging or a bad caliper or bad brake hose..
might try bleeding the brakes and see if it improves, its the cheapest and easiest place to start assuming its a brake issue....

If it turns out to be a caliper I would recommend also replacing the brake hose as well...
Old July 16th, 2011, 5:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum,
I too would first suspect brake pad dragging or a bad caliper or bad brake hose..
might try bleeding the brakes and see if it improves, its the cheapest and easiest place to start assuming its a brake issue....

If it turns out to be a caliper I would recommend also replacing the brake hose as well...
Be my guess also
Old July 16th, 2011, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know pad dragging, had a Jeep Wrangler that the calipers hung on all the time. One good whack with a tire iron and it was free, in any case, I was at a shop at 7am and we put it up, my guess was right on, idler arm on the right was shot, put 220 miles on today and all is well. Thanks for all the replies!