Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

A small mystery re: Suburban vs. Excursion

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2013, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lenz and CL are part of what drove me to this post to start! It isn't the price--I absolutely want some kind of chain of ownership custody ( if that's a phrase). Dealer's show you a Carfax as if it has some meaning! Then they show you the state certified thing in the window that their mechanic checked off. Wow! It's meaningless to me. If you are looking at an Urb with 165,000 miles on it, did the former owner just do minimum work to get to that level? I assume so unless there are records to show more. My problem was how on earth can I buy a high mileage truck WITHOUT assuming it needs, as a package, tires-ball joints-tierod ends-shocks-steering box-etcetc. If you test drive one, and its loose, which of those is it?

Lenz,EVS,etal all exist because buyers prefer to talk about silly options without understanding their beefy SUV is all car parts underneath. It will shake apart far sooner than you think.

Of course, the 2500 frame and its component weight now demand that I invent some HHO mod, wood gas trailer, or better so I can improve the 5 MPG. But that will be a different thread...........Or maybe it's already on here somewhere--I just joined.
Old December 15th, 2013, 12:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah! how did your excursion catch fire? any idea? Sorry to hear you didnt care either. Our friends had 2 lifted, completely tinted, and opted out Excursions with the 7.3L, under the rear captains chairs were PS2's hooked up to TV's in the head rests of the driver and passgener seat. They were beautiful trucks, sounded great, had comfy seats, but road rough though, but, oh man, I always wanted that exact setup, until I came across the wonderful master piece called DuraBurb. Although I still do have a soft spots for excursions, but much less desire...
Old December 15th, 2013, 8:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
ah! how did your excursion catch fire? any idea? Sorry to hear you didnt care either. Our friends had 2 lifted, completely tinted, and opted out Excursions with the 7.3L, under the rear captains chairs were PS2's hooked up to TV's in the head rests of the driver and passgener seat. They were beautiful trucks, sounded great, had comfy seats, but road rough though, but, oh man, I always wanted that exact setup, until I came across the wonderful master piece called DuraBurb. Although I still do have a soft spots for excursions, but much less desire...
Cause of fire?? Undetermined, however there is no doubt in my mind it was due to a faulty cruise control module, one of fords major problems. The entire rt. side of the motor area where all the relays and wiring was completely melted.
I'm aware that Excursion owners like to "Mod" their trucks, lifting them is easy which explains their popularity. However i'm past the age of owning and driving a jacked up vehicle. I drive a Semi truck every day and have to climb in and out over 100 times daily. When i get back to the terminal, the last thing i want to do is climb into a daily driver. Taking a women/girl out for dinner and watching her climb into a jacked up SUV also does nothing for me.
I would never own anything powered by a Powerstroke engine again. Aside from a Duramax, i dont see a Diesel making its way into my garage ever again especially since i'm not a pickup truck fan, Now yea a Dura Burb would be nice but i'm not taking out a second mortgage on my home
Old December 15th, 2013, 10:24 AM
CF Junior Member

One thing I did love about the Excursion was the reclining bench seat in the back. Made for a great spot to sleep when on the long road trips.
Old January 4th, 2014, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Newbe here who swore off GM since my 82 Diesel OLDS!
I was looking for an EX for a few years now to replace my 93 cummins truck cause I needed that big interior for more than 2 adults! and No longer towing a 7k Airstream.
Am trading the cummins (210k) today for a LOADED 99 Burb 1500 (135k).