Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Small repairs

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2018, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small repairs

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 2004 Tahoe and I have a few small things that need fixing. First off, my son broke the rear door handle the 2nd day I had it. My question is, would it be worth it to just have a dealer replace it or is this something that's not too hard to repair? Second, I have the clunky intermediate shaft that everyone seems to have with these. Is this something that is worth replacing? Is it even a serious issue or just more annoying? Truck steers perfectly, just makes an irritating noise when the wheel is turned hard. 3rd, my heater stopped blowing hot today and I'm wondering what the cause of this might be. Truck has plenty of coolant and has worked fine up till today. Rear heater blows cold air as well. Could this be a core issue? If so, how hard is it to do on your own? 4th, the AC blower motor works fine but makes a sound at higher speed almost like something is stuck in it. AC blows really cold. Is this something pretty easy to fix? Sorry for all the lame-brain questions but I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money on repairs and would like to do things myself where I can.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 8:40 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The blower motor noise maybe due to dry bearings. They can be oiled but it requires drilling a small hole near the end of the shaft in the housing.

If there is a heater coolant valve in the heater lines, that may be the cause of the loss of heat. I am not sure whether it has one or not though.

When my wife had a 2004 Tahoe, the dealer relubed the intermediate shaft once and then later on replaced it under the tech bulletin.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the good info! There seems to be enough coolant in the reservoir but it was hot and I couldn't open it. Will check later when its cold. I know these take the dex fluid vs just regular coolant. If i have to fill it, is there anything special I have to do, like mix with water?

how much did it cost to lube the shaft?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 8:51 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Since my dealer lubed the shaft for free, you would have to check with your dealer to see if he would do the same or how much it would cost if not.

If you're just adding a small amount, less than 1/2 gallon, I would just add straight antifreeze. More than that then you need to make it a 50/50 mix. Does the temperature gauge indicate normal operating temperature when the engine is warmed up? It should be pointing about straight up. Check for a heater coolant control valve too while you're at it.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

the truck warms up just fine temp/engine wise. Makes me think maybe its the heater core instead? i guess i'll have to bite the bullet and get it looked at.