Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

So. Now that a mini ice age is upon us...

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2015, 4:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So. Now that a mini ice age is upon us...

How will you better prepare your tahoes and suburbans for winter use?

Which tires will you use? Lockers? Fluid changes? Winter blades? Electric starters? Better batteries? Etc?
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible Flush/clean Cooling System, check all Heaters/functions.
Fresh Wiper Blades, front/rear.
Clean/lube all Door Seals. (I usually use Silicone).
Check Tools, Chain(s), De-Icer, Scraper.
Emergency Supplies, Water/Snack Bars, Flashing Beacon, etc.
Check 4WD operation, fluid change if needed, and...

Tires...
I have a extra set for my ride. However, not all do, and given the region one lives in, he may select an All-Season to accommodate.
Given that, the conditions where I live, goes from extremely hot, to very wet (heavy rain) to Ice, it rarely ever Snows. So, I've selected a Tread which wouldn't do well in Snow, but has high wet traction and does well on Ice. Others may need a very heavily Cleated Tread for Snow. Lots of choices/variations for this issue. In any case, don't get in a rush about your selection. Analyze just what road conditions you will have to deal with, and select a Tread that's applicable.

I view Tires like I do an Insurance Policy...
I want them to work as expected EACH and EVERY time. I won't say don't use cost as a part of your selection, but, a couple bucks more spent up front, may save you thousands or worse, later.

Last edited by SWHouston; July 15th, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old July 15th, 2015, 6:12 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've done the dual battery TP2 upgrade on both my GMT900 trucks. Both trucks have 2 Diehard Gold Advanced AGM batteries.

The '08 Suburban has Goodyear Duratracs. They make the truck pretty much unstoppable in rain, snow, ice and mud.

I have a 75-lb emergency box in the back of the Suburban - basic tools, first aid kit, flares, flashlights, extraction equipment (hitch, shackles, tow straps), water, snacks, MREs, rope, emergency mylar blankets, air compressor, extra sepentine belt.

I'm in the process of equipping the Denali. I bought the under-seat storage unit from Duha - now I just have to fill it up with the necessities.

The Suburban has two fire extinguishers, the Denali has one.

I'm also super-**** about my vehicles; everything works as it should. If it doesn't, it gets fixed and fixed the right way. Everything is maintained; all fluids replaced as needed - transmission, transfer case, axles, engine oil, coolant.
Old July 16th, 2015, 4:47 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I live in central Texas so there are no real big changes in weather other than it can get really cold, like in the 40's sometimes So come cooler weather I throw a heavier coat in the back as a spare...
I have 3 stages of items, the absolute bare minimum is what I keep stuffed in the spare jack storage area, the second level is is with me 99% of the time, and the third level which comes out when we need people/cargo space, things like the blanket, AC inverter,binoculars, water/snacks...
The one thing I didn't picture was a quart of oil that is also stashed in the spare jack area...

Level 1 is jack storage area

Level 2 is a thick canvas bag that is about 10x12x14 inches

Level 3 is a foot locker box from Academy that also holds the level 2 bag when I have the level 3 box with me...
Attached Thumbnails So. Now that a mini ice age is upon us...-level-1-must-haves.jpg   So. Now that a mini ice age is upon us...-level-2-have-almost-all-time.jpg   So. Now that a mini ice age is upon us...-level-3-all-others-some-extra.jpg  
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
it can get really cold, like in the 40's sometimes
WOW, how can you stand it !
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:24 PM
CF Senior Member

What is a tp2 upgrade? Is there a kit? Gm part number?
Old July 17th, 2015, 7:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
What is a tp2 upgrade? Is there a kit? Gm part number?
TP2 is the RPO code for dual batteries. A lot of ways to install/wire a second battery, but I wanted it as stock-looking as possible. All parts used are factory GM, except for one homemade three-wire harness, for the isolator relay.

Here's a link to the full thread with writeup and pictures:

CLICK HERE
Old July 17th, 2015, 8:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Can it be ordered directly without being a police car?
Old July 17th, 2015, 9:05 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
Can it be ordered directly without being a police car?
I don't think it can be ordered as a whole kit per se, but the link intheburbs provided will get you a list of part numbers, and most if not all of the items are listed on Amazon...
it looks to be about a ~$300 project...
Old July 17th, 2015, 2:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have in southern Cal where we haven't seen any harsh weather or rain in over 5 years! Not happy about seeing my water bill go up every month either.

At first, I thought this title was a joke, but then I remembered how bad the winters have been for everywhere else. Good luck.

Quick Reply: So. Now that a mini ice age is upon us...