Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Soldier needs Help with suburban wobble

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2013 | 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default Soldier needs Help with suburban wobble

hey guys

i hope some one can help, i have a 2002 suburban 1500 and once i go 60 mph the truck starts to wobble/sway like a boat side to side in choppy water sorry i cant describe it better i suspected the air ride suspension so i installed the monroe conversion kit to remove air suspension and i am still going though this. i am not sure what all it could be but i know when i make sharp right turns the tire feels like its rubbing in the fender. Please advise if you have an idea...
Old March 1st, 2013 | 11:57 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

Check roll bar bushings and end links. Maybe springs are getting weak.
Old March 2nd, 2013 | 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

It does feel as if I don't slow down it will roll over also I don't know if it is related but I can turn sharp to the left but the right is way wide

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Check roll bar bushings and end links. Maybe springs are getting weak.
Old March 2nd, 2013 | 12:12 AM
Administrator

Might want to get it to a good alignment shop and just have the whole thing checked out.
Old March 2nd, 2013 | 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

Yea looks like my next step
Old March 2nd, 2013 | 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

See that the Tires are all the same size, and are aired to about 40 lbs.
I strongly suspect that you have a bad Idler Arm Bushing, or a Lower Control Arm Bushing(s) bad as well. A check of those should reveal the need for replacements, before an alignment. Improper ToeIn frequently cause darting/swaying, which may indicate the need for replacement of one/more Tie Rods.

Last edited by SWHouston; March 2nd, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old March 6th, 2013 | 2:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by reyo83
hey guys

i hope some one can help, i have a 2002 suburban 1500 and once i go 60 mph the truck starts to wobble/sway like a boat side to side in choppy water sorry i cant describe it better i suspected the air ride suspension so i installed the monroe conversion kit to remove air suspension and i am still going though this. i am not sure what all it could be but i know when i make sharp right turns the tire feels like its rubbing in the fender. Please advise if you have an idea...
I would check the tyre pressures first. I also have a 2002 Sub' with Bridgestone Duellers, a while back I went to swap them around i.e. Left front to rear right etc., It was then I noticed the tyres were one way rotational i.e can only be changed on the same side. I wonder if yours are the same? There's an arrow on the sidewall indicating the forward rotation. Might be worth checking it out before taking to a garage. Good luck. Gus.
Old March 6th, 2013 | 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gustheiceman
I wonder if yours are the same?
Greetings Gus, welcome to the Forum.

Customarily Directional Tires don't cause the problems stated, but, you are wise to take advantage of the performance enhancements which they provide, when installed properly, and rotated in the required "I" pattern.

Last edited by SWHouston; March 6th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old March 7th, 2013 | 5:06 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for that SWHouston, and for that warm welcome. Let me run this up your flagpole. I also run a Jaguar Sport XJ8, which has a ZF5HP24 gearbox, which has a memory and monitors the way you drive and programs the gear changes, accordingly. Last time I was in the states I hired a New Yorker, which according to the drivers manual had something similar. Do you know if my 2002 LT has the aforementioned? Kind Regards. Gus.

Last edited by Gustheiceman; March 7th, 2013 at 5:08 AM. Reason: word spacing
Old March 7th, 2013 | 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gustheiceman
Do you know if my 2002 LT has the aforementioned?
You probably have the 4L60E transmission (standard equipment), and there is no programmable information that controls it, other than the information it receives from sensing speed and throttle position. All this is preset, automatic, and transparent to/for any Driver. The occurrence (timing/speed) of shifting is affected by what gear has been selected, but other than that, there is no specificity.

ie: "Set it and Forget it"

Last edited by SWHouston; March 7th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Soldier needs Help with suburban wobble