Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Squealing from window

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2012, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing from window

I brought my 2008 Suburban LTZ in to the dealer for a squealing noise from the driver's window. Whenever I lower the window it makes a terrible sound. They told me that I needed a new "regulator" and that they part was $500-$600 and that I should just deal with it until the window stops working. Sounds like it just needs a new motor or whatever lowers and raises the window. Is this a part I can find online? If so, does anyone have the part number? And is this something I can do on my own? I'm sure I can replace the part but I heard opening and closing the door panel is a pain. Are there detailed instructions anywhere? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old December 9th, 2012, 9:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

RockAuto has the motor for $55.79 and the complete assembly for $78.79. You can do it yourself if you have any mechanical ability. Check out Youtube, they have videos on everything.
Old December 9th, 2012, 9:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the regulator track needs lubricant. gm has a tsb all about it. Gm has even lists a special lubricant for it.

The window still moves up and down normally but makes a squeal going down and lesser noise going up...right?

Last edited by tech2; December 9th, 2012 at 9:15 AM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the window makes much more noise going down than up. The guy told me he was going to lubricate it but it made noise about a block away from the dealership so I'm not sure he even did it. Do you have a link to the tsb?
Old December 11th, 2012, 9:40 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> tech2,

I agree, their may be insufficient lubrication on the regulator rails. Those experiencing this issue may consider consulting with a technician for additional assistance.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I have not seen the rails inside the window so I don't know what they are composed of, that said anyone greasing them should use caution when applying a petroleum based grease or lubrication if the hardware contains plastic parts as it can break down the plastics
I would suggest using a silicone based lubricant like 3M's paste..
Old January 1st, 2013, 9:01 AM
CF Active Member

I had a problem sort of like this when I bought my tahoe. Evidently at some point the door panel had been removed and had not been properly re installed. The door trim panel was seated so that it held the rubber window seal down. When the window went down the seal rolled and dragged along the window making a terrible sound. Going up was not as bad once the rubber seal flipped back in place. A simple trip to a friends body shop corrected the problem but if you look at one of the other windows around the seal you might be able to see if thats the problem.