Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

SRS light + OBDII Scanner Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2016, 9:52 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SRS light + OBDII Scanner Suggestions?

SRS light, a friend's scanner read the code right, but not the 'description' so I kind of went down the wrong path.

Dealer read same code, with better description (which I later found on internet) so $104 later, B0083 - Left Front Impact Sensor, which I assume means Driver side.

They wanted $200 part + $100 labor, found online for $45, free ship, and my labor is free.

I found a OBDII reader that Bluetooths to your iPhone, and according to Amazon reads SRS codes. I like the idea of this as both the reader and the app get upgrades, so it should stay current.

600+ reviews 4.5/5. Only one problem, I checked their website today (after ordering last night, ugh, can't win) and entering a 2009 Tahoe says 'can't read SRS codes'...

So, if amazon drops it off, I'll test it out, but may have to return it.

What reader are you guys using? I want to read everything I can...

This is the one I bought, and don't know if it will read SRS codes:
Amazon.com: BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android: Automotive Amazon.com: BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android: Automotive

Back to the impact sensor: My idea is put truck on oil change ramps (get my gut under the front) remove negative battery connection, wait 30 min, replace sensor. reattach battery, start truck.

any issue w/said plan? According to my research that should work fine. Just prefer to not explode an airbag and negate any savings...
Old April 16th, 2016, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope they're pretty simple to change, as far as what to use for a scanner I'm not much help everything I use are full function and bi-directional.

I have seen many cases where the lower end/budget scanners have different definitions so I usually tell people to just use the code and research it or talk to someone with resources to look it up.
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:54 AM
CF Addict

Received the Blue Driver Friday PM. plugged in. no codes (SRS light on)... so even though the amazon page says it reads it... it does not. Sensor arrives today, plan to install tonight.

Shame. I really like this scanner setup. It did real time engine load, so that was cool, but I need one that can show me SRS codes, and prefer one that uses an iPhone so it gets updates easy...

If the light doesn't go out after a few ignition cycles, I'll buy another scanner.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; April 18th, 2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old April 18th, 2016, 1:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most airbag related codes are monitored anytime the key is on so if the problem goes away so should the light.
Old April 19th, 2016, 7:12 AM
CF Addict

Update 2: Put truck up on ramps, removed battery Negative, removed skid plate (plastic) 4 15mm bolts, which the plastic was broke before removal, and clearly won't go back on... $35 on eBay. Replaced sensor after 30 min. Started truck. NO SRS LIGHT

ta-da

Now to install that skid back when it gets here... ugh.