Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help! My Suburban cuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My Suburban cuts off while driving

Hey guys, heres the deal. I have a 93 Suburban and about a week ago it cut off on me while driving. started right up. did it again the next day and the next. Now I have to wait for about 20 seconds or so for it to start back up. Other than that it runs fine. No skips,misses or anything. The fuel pump kicks in with no problems. I had the ignition module tested and its fine. someone told me it could be the pick up coil but I thought that if that was the case, it wouldnt start up at all. Then someone mentioned it could be the ignition coil. any ideas?

Last edited by Ridinhi; March 5th, 2010 at 1:21 PM.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ignition coil is likely. and cheap.
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

well, changed the fuel pump,filter, and fuel pump relay. Changed the ignition coil and the ignition module was tested good. Truck still starts up fine and thens cuts off while driving later on. Sometimes she just turns over and about 30-60 seconds later, she starts back up. Can someone please give me some advice.
Old March 8th, 2010, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Found the problem. Turns out to be the ignition module afterall. Guess it tested good because it was cool while being tested. Replaced it just for the heck of it and truck hasnt cut off since.
Old March 8th, 2010, 9:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sweetness!!! some testers actually heat it up to op. temp, but some don't, so you end up with false reading. glad ya got it tho.
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks for the follow-up. Will help others.
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

no prob guys, just dont want anyone to go through what i did when it could be avoided.
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Im new here, but I saw your post and found it very helpful as I have a 94 suburban that is doing the same thing. But I do have a question did your Battery light start to flash on and off as well cuz that is what mine is starting to do now as well as cutting off while driving.
Old March 11th, 2010, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by spadesgirl28
Hey Im new here, but I saw your post and found it very helpful as I have a 94 suburban that is doing the same thing. But I do have a question did your Battery light start to flash on and off as well cuz that is what mine is starting to do now as well as cutting off while driving.
mine did this:

cut off one night on me, started right back up. Did it the next day, and the next. 3rd day, it turned over longer than normal and then started back up. Got worse on day 5. At first, I thought it only did it while slowing down at stop lights ect. but then i could be driving 40mph and up and it would just shut down like I had pulled the battery cable off or something. Dash lights came on like the brake ,engine,etc. Nothin ever came on while driving though. engine light never came on so I could use a code reader to see what the problem was. Anyways, I took the ignition module to Autozone and advance Auto parts and they both tested it to be fine. Guess it showed good while it wasnt hot. changed the module and no problems since.If your battery light is flashing while you drive, you may want to check alternator,battery,etc. Could be a voltage problem.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

hey thanks that helped me out. alot as i said my is doing the same as yours did but the only diffrence was the battery light. Ill get the alt. ck out and see what happens from there. Once again thank you

Quick Reply: Help! My Suburban cuts off while driving