Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

stabilitrac, power reduction and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2013, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stabilitrac, power reduction and check engine light

While driving my 07 tahoe ltz my stabilatrac light came on and then it read stabilitrac off on my instrument panel. A few seconds later the check engine light came on and then the instrument panel said reduced power. My tahoe instantly had no power and when I tried to push on the gas it spuddered. I pulled over and shut the truck off and after about 10 minutes fired it back up and it ran fine but the check engine light remained on. Anyone every experienced this or know what would cause this?
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by air27
Anyone every experienced this or know what would cause this?
Haven't had all that happen at one time, but...

The Reduced Power w/Ck Engine is quite popular with Chevs. Glad you weren't driving in the middle lane of a 70 mph Freeway with your Kids in the vehicle, when it happened to you.

There are a LOT of threads related to this, and you can do a general search from the main page for them. However, the most common issue with the several fixes, is related to Grounds.

Good luck, and keep to the right (lane) until you resolve this.
Old November 19th, 2013, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

hey air27 did you find the issue/fix? had the same exact thing happened to me in my 07 suburban ltz. the check engine light went off on its own within 24hrs
Old November 19th, 2013, 9:03 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

bigzo66,

If you would like for me to check your VIN for any special coverages, please send me a private message. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this symptom when I first had my 07 Tahoe. It would come and go. Finally it happened and stayed that way, with the reduced power, CEL, so on. It turned out to be a bad crank sensor. The a few years later, I had to jumpstart my Tahoe, and it ran like crap, had the reduced power again. So I pulled over and turned off the car, and opened the driver's door, a few minutes later started it up, problem gone. And since that last incident, I had to jump start the car a few times over the years and almost everytime I do, I have the reduced power issue. Good luck!
Old November 20th, 2013, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Did a full tune up on the tahoe and had all the major grounds checked and it ran great for 5 days then it did it again. My mechanic says he had the same thing happen with his wifes suburban and claims it was the tps (throttle positioning sensor). replacing that this week and will keep you updated. And yes everytime this happens the check engine light turns off by itself within a day or so.
Old November 20th, 2013, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Erica, could you please contact me about my tahoe. Thanks. Adspipeit2727@gmail.com
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

air27,

I just sent you an email. I look forward to your response.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
CF Junior Member

My 07 Yukon Denali did that. The dealer replaced some section of the wiring harness that "affected the fuel system" and some shift solenoids under warranty.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
CF Junior Member

In other news, I just remembered that my 2007 Avalanche did this a few years ago.
I replaced the section of wire from the throttle valve using a "kit" that I bought from the dealer on my 07 Avalanche and it fixed it. My guess is that the little, skinny wires get old from heat and movement of the motor.

Quick Reply: stabilitrac, power reduction and check engine light