Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Stalling while towing - Help

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2014, 12:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling while towing - Help

Hoping to get a little insight into an ongoing stalling problem.

Specs -

2007 Burb 2500 LT loaded, 71,500 miles, Vin - 7G175017

History -

5 weeks ago while towing a trailer weighing approximately 9K for more than 180 miles, the truck stalled at 60 MPH on the interstate in tow mode. Fuel gauge read less than 1/4, DTE was 28. The truck would not restart until I put a gallon of gas in it and then proceeded to fill at the station to full. I assume this was a "margin of error" situation and simply ran out of gas

No issues for the next 5 weeks and 2K miles, but I did not let it go below 1/3 tank to be safe and did not do any towing over 30 miles and only light weight when I did.

2 days ago I was pulling an empty, under 3K# trailer over the continental divide in Colorado and the truck stalled twice. I was able to restart and continue until it finally stalled a third time. It started, but would not drive (ie pedal to the floor no change in rpms). I was in tow mode, trans temp was running hotter 209 F and fuel was above 1/4 and I was on a significant uphill grade. I had to roll backwards along a significant drop off into a blind corner to get to a parking lot. I let the truck idle, hood open until Trans temp was 165 F. Drove the rest of the way home without stalling. However, tarns temp continued to read very high, 180-190 downhill and in town, even after sitting for 10 minutes with the hood open.

I have towed and driven this truck in all sorts of conditions and never had a trans temp above 178 F. If it was simply the 12,000 ft of elevation and the temp is fine and unrelated to the stalling I can live with that, I only mentioned it because it was unusual for this truck. But why is it stalling, and in terrible places none the less?

I took it to the dealer and there are no codes, no lights have ever come on, and they can not explain what happened.

I have to drive 1300+ miles Sunday with the 3K# trailer and the whole family (2 kids, wife and 2 dogs) and don't want to be stuck in BFE.

Questions -

1. Assuming the first time I simply ran out of fuel, what caused the 2nd incident? Trans Temp? Fuel pump dry due to incline? Limp mode?

2. Could trans temp be causing the stalling, both times?

3. Could a bad fuel pump/sensor be the culprit?

Thanks in advance for any help, I am at a loss on how to proceed and this last trip put us over the mileage for the warranty so ***** nilly replacing things is out of the question (I am already into this truck for $4K this month)

BP
Old May 30th, 2014, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

The only applicable info I found while searching was this -

Originally Posted by yukondean
i have a 2007 yukon xl 2500 that behaves exactly as you describe and has since it was new. the dealer has tried many things but has not yet found it. if you have temperature display in your rearview mirror watch it during the event. you will notice that the temepearture goes way up. for some reason the clutched fan is not engaging so the temperature in front of the radiator (where the ambient temp sensor is) goes way up. The AC is automatically shut down and the engine is detuned and power drops. my clutch has been replaced 3 times, the latest last week, and the probelm persists. this is one of 2 problems that exist with this vehicle. the second is very dangerous and your car has it. under perfectly understood conditions, your car will shut down when the tank is just above 1/4 tank and act as if it out of fuel, but it is not. you will lose power steering, most braking and will not have engine braking. it has happened to us many many times. you will have to add gas to the tank to get it started. if you are towing down hill this could be fatal... GM is aware of this issue
From this post
Old May 30th, 2014, 9:20 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You mentioned spending $4K. Would be helpful to know what has been done. It's been my experience that fixing some problems causes others.
Old May 30th, 2014, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, been lurking for awhile.

Recent work, all preformed at the dealership-

New cooler line
New front BJs
Backup camera module replaced
New tires
New driver hub bearing
New front routers
Alignment
Oil change

Thats what I can remember off the top of my head. All recalls are up to date. Doesn't seem like anything that would cause overheating or stalling

Thanks

BP
Old May 30th, 2014, 2:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a clutch fan, ditch it for 2 electrics. They move a ton of air and are a smaller load than a big clutch fan on the motor...

But how the hell is gm aware of this and not doing a damn thing or getting sued for not doing anything???
Old May 30th, 2014, 2:34 PM
Administrator

Two things that can cause overheating are bad thermostat and debris in front of radiator.

As far as the stalling/running out of gas goes, could be fuel pump starting to go Tango Uniform.

What cooler line was replaced and why?

What's a truck related BJ?

But how the hell is gm aware of this and not doing a damn thing or getting sued for not doing anything???
Where's it said that GM knows about it?
Old May 30th, 2014, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Two things that can cause overheating are bad thermostat and debris in front of radiator.

As far as the stalling/running out of gas goes, could be fuel pump starting to go Tango Uniform.

What cooler line was replaced and why?

What's a truck related BJ?
Trans cooler line, due to small leak. A common problem on the 6.0L as I have been told.

Ball joints = BJs

Would a bad thermostat throw a code? It was hot enough to turn off the AC automatically on several occasions, so the computer is addressing some perceived issue.
Old May 30th, 2014, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
if you have a clutch fan, ditch it for 2 electrics. They move a ton of air and are a smaller load than a big clutch fan on the motor...

That is one of the upgrades I am considering. Right now I am trying to decide if i should cut my losses and trade in for a 13' 2500 or try to stick it out. We have a longer trip planned towing 7-8K#s in August through the hills of PA and I am not sure I want to risk another round of stalling with the whole family in tow. If there was a code or the dealer found something and replaced anything I might feel better about it not happening again. As it stands now they can't even determine what the problem is, not very re-assuring.

Thanks

BP
Old May 30th, 2014, 4:24 PM
Administrator

Don't you already have two electrics? Thought the GMT900s all had them.
Old May 30th, 2014, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Looks like it is a dual tank pump issue on the 2500s.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: towing trouble 07 3/4 ton suburban

found 5 more posts from different people all 2007-2008 Suburban 2500s stalling after towing and around 1/4 tank. Unfortunately, no resolution except don't get below 2/3 which makes the 39 gallon tank useless.

If anyone has resolved this issue let me know,

Thanks everyone

BP

Last edited by BadPunkin; May 30th, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Stalling while towing - Help