Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Starter Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2020, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Hesitation

Hey, y'all, newbie here. I'm having some starter issues with my 2009 Suburban LT, 150K miles on it, original engine. My husband replaced our starter in January 2020 because we would have hesitations (pretend it was going to start and then it would take 1-2 times more to actually start it) and replaced with an AC Delco starter. Then a few weeks ago the same problem began happening again; as the one we put in had a lifetime warranty, we just got a replacement. The starter was tested and it did fail so we just did a swap out.

Everything is great for a few weeks and then the last 3 days the same thing has been happening again. Hesitations and my remote start won't work, either. Today, I went to remote start it and it wouldn't work. When I got in the Sub, my engine light was lit up- without the key being in it. The light went away after I started the engine with the key.

We're wondering if it's the battery but we put in a Duralast Gold battery in September 2019. Also, I will lose sound capabilities to my stereo and turn signals at times after we've had the starter hesitation issue. Once the engine is shut off for a bit and started again, the sound to everything will come back on. I just got the vehicle inspected last month and everything was fine- the guys at the auto shop didn't even try to sell me anything, which is a first, haha.

Really hoping someone could provide some insight as to what we should be looking for?? Could the starter have failed again? Thanks for any and all input!
Old September 24th, 2020, 5:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Emily Finn
Hey, y'all, newbie here. I'm having some starter issues with my 2009 Suburban LT, 150K miles on it, original engine. My husband replaced our starter in January 2020 because we would have hesitations (pretend it was going to start and then it would take 1-2 times more to actually start it) and replaced with an AC Delco starter. Then a few weeks ago the same problem began happening again; as the one we put in had a lifetime warranty, we just got a replacement. The starter was tested and it did fail so we just did a swap out.

Everything is great for a few weeks and then the last 3 days the same thing has been happening again. Hesitations and my remote start won't work, either. Today, I went to remote start it and it wouldn't work. When I got in the Sub, my engine light was lit up- without the key being in it. The light went away after I started the engine with the key.

We're wondering if it's the battery but we put in a Duralast Gold battery in September 2019. Also, I will lose sound capabilities to my stereo and turn signals at times after we've had the starter hesitation issue. Once the engine is shut off for a bit and started again, the sound to everything will come back on. I just got the vehicle inspected last month and everything was fine- the guys at the auto shop didn't even try to sell me anything, which is a first, haha.

Really hoping someone could provide some insight as to what we should be looking for?? Could the starter have failed again? Thanks for any and all input!
I'd have the battery tested.
Old September 25th, 2020, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I agree even though it's only a year old. I once had a new battery fail on the way home.
Old October 9th, 2020, 9:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a known problem with these rigs, especially if you live in a rust belt state: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevrol...pos=3&at_tot=4